Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Double-Din Stereo in a 65?

Old 07-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

Default Double-Din Stereo in a 65?

Has anyone put a double-din stereo in their 65? I was looking at putting one that has a 7" touchscreen that plays dvd's in mine, but I wanted to see if anyone has done it already so I can get some ideas. My dash is already cut for a single-din dvd player in it. Thanks for any responses or pics!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 07-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Double-Din Stereo in a 65?

Something that big is better to mount under the dash or in a console down there.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
guybored
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Ford Mustang

I think it is going to be hard to find a double-din Dvd player in a 65. I was thinking of adding a flip out screen but I"m afraid of someone seeing it in there or knowing about it and stealing it. I'm thinking its going to be more expensive to replace a window that a dvd player so I decided not to. If you go decide to add the double-din post some pictures I would like to see how it looks and how you did it. Good luck with you project. I think someone added a flip out but it was on a 67 if I'm not mistaken.

5.0 EFI ,T5 , Hydraulic clutch, long tube, aluminum radiator, electric fan. 3G, hidden wiring, x pipe
guybored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:23 PM   #4
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Evil eleanor has one in his car but its in the console tho.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:53 AM   #5
petespokerplanet
1st Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Piraya33

Has anyone put a double-din stereo in their 65? I was looking at putting one that has a 7" touchscreen that plays dvd's in mine, but I wanted to see if anyone has done it already so I can get some ideas. My dash is already cut for a single-din dvd player in it. Thanks for any responses or pics!
Man, it's eerie how similiarour cars are! Anyways, I wanted to go the 7" flipout route because I have one sitting in the garage, but the screenwould hit the top ofthe dash.I went with a new 5in SINGLE Din DVD touchscreen. My dash was already cut also, so I went ahead with the 5 inch. I painted to match the car. I've also just installed power door locks and HID headlights.

Sorry about the dash, I'm in the process of repainting it and I need to install the dashpad and new steering whee.

[IMG]local://upfiles/95901/46505D61479E42448083D4ADF355D1CC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/95901/7D7517116D8E4B4DBF1AFC96C07D611B.jpg[/IMG]
petespokerplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966 Mustang Coupe

I almost wish my dash had already been cut. I don't have the heart to cut it. When I was 16 and my first car was a '65 Stang, I had no problem with cutting it.

I think I'm just gonna run an amp and my ipod, I cannot see a good reason for a DVD in a car, but maybe that's just me.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
groho
4th Gear Member

Now I know I'm OLD!!!! Double-din Stereo? 7" touchscreen? What ever happened to AM/FM? Shooot, I'm happy with a CD player.
groho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 66 Mustang

I thought I was "Livin Large" when my girls got me an I Pod and a wired cassette tape adapter.

66 I6 75,000 original miles, 4th owner.
ThanksDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
petespokerplanet
1st Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: ThanksDad

I thought I was "Livin Large" when my girls got me an I Pod and a wired cassette tape adapter.
We use the Ipod hookup everytime my wife rides with me!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
petespokerplanet
1st Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: TexasAxMan

I almost wish my dash had already been cut. I don't have the heart to cut it. When I was 16 and my first car was a '65 Stang, I had no problem with cutting it.

I think I'm just gonna run an amp and my ipod, I cannot see a good reason for a DVD in a car, but maybe that's just me.
It seems like I met you on a BMW or Audi forum?

Anyways, DVD is overkill, although the kidsgo in the garage and sit in the car and watch Tom & Jerry, even though we have two 50inch plasmas inside the house! lol. I think it's cool because its a touchscreen, plus I like gadgets!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

I currently have an Alpine CDA-X001 in the car, but I don't really like how the controls are setup. I was looking at doing the flip-out screen, but I knew it would hit the dashpad. So, I was just wondering if anyone had done a double-din because I have used a few of them and like how they look and I can pick one up for pretty cheap.

Pete, it is pretty crazy how similar our cars are. What color blue do you have? Can you post some pics of the HID lights? Thanks!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:15 AM   #12
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

I've been looking for another flip screen and found one at "Best Buy" (I forgot the brand though) that comes way out at the bottom slide and is adjustable on how far itsticks out. The angle is also adjustable. I'm sure that it will more than clear the dash pad. On my install, I did lower it somewhat so that it would clear the dash pad if it was mounted in the stock location. Also I bent the center of the metal for the dash pad up to allow for futher clearence. For me the touch screen is nice and easy to see ascompared to the very small writing in thelittle push buttons. Last night my 13 year old girl and myself went out cruising (as we often do) on the town and she watched Tom Petty music videos while cruising. She loves it.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #13
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...DSC_0472-1.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture029.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...r/IMG_6772.jpg
Old 07-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #14
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

Evil, that looks pretty sweet! I'm not sure if one of the flip-outs would work for me because it will be in the stock location on a 65. I'm pretty sure it's gonna hit the dashpad. Yours looks really good like that though. How does it affect your a/c?
Old 07-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #15
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 65' Mustang, 04' Mustang v6

is there a double-din stereo that will fit underneth the dash on the hump?
TomKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #16
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 65 Coupe

You could make a "console" for the stereo to go in, on the hump.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #17
PReal
5th Gear Member

Cut the dash and throw in an Eclipse or Alpine Dual Din.

Stay away from kenwood, dual and other such brands. They might be cheaper, but don't expect the sound quality or durability of more expensive unit.

Fordania
302 w/289 heads - T5 w/hydraulic clutch
PReal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #18
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

yea i cant cut it. my grandma would kill me.

What im going to end up doin is oddly enough i found a $15 rug at menards thats the same bright red as my carpet in the car.

Im going to pick up some MDF and build a small box to just hold a 6x9 that will sit over the drive shaft hump and up against the back seat. Then build a seperate small box for the CD player and connect them so i can have it verticle and on the passenger side of the drive shaft hump to the right of the shifter.

Then all i have to do for wiring is take a wire from ground & from the start solenoid and run them into the car and put quick disconnects on them and a switch so i can be sure the live wire wont be live unless the switch is flipped.

antenna can slide right under the seat with no interference to the signal.

That way if i want to cruise and listen to the radio no problem, just set the system on the hump plug it in and away i go.

It involves ZERO butchering of the car and wont hurt the value or anything else.
65rangoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #19
petespokerplanet
1st Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: PReal

Cut the dash and throw in an Eclipse or Alpine Dual Din.

Stay away from kenwood, dual and other such brands. They might be cheaper, but don't expect the sound quality or durability of more expensive unit.
I'm not sure I would compare Kenwood and Dual together. And even if you go all out, the classic Mustang is not a very good soundstage, so no matter what brand you put in, its not going to make as much difference as in a modern quieter car. You're right about the quality of the electronics, but durability is really not that much of an issue anymore.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:15 PM   #20
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Mustang Fastback
Send a message via Yahoo to Iskwezm

Quote:
ORIGINAL: PReal
Dual is made by Namsung which also makes for other big brands.Theres only 3 manufactures in Korea. I went to main plant and saw all the big name brands next to the off brands.

2006 Mustang Gt 'Vert-12 sec. daily driver-sold
2006 F250 PSD,9"lift,37's on 20's,King coilovers,air ride,Gearheads 120hp tune,Phoenix Gold 6600 watts,4 12's
1965 FASTBACK- 18X8 18X9.5" TSW's 235/275 M/T's,
http://www.mustangandfords.com/featu...own/index.html
Iskwezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:15 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1965, 1966, 2008, 65, 66, classic, din, double, fit, ideas, install, mount, mustang, single, sound, stereo, system