Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

68 fastback ground up build help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 11:31 PM
68fastback_lover

Default 68 fastback ground up build help

HI, I am new to the forums, and need some help. I am 15, and very interested in a 68 fastback build. I know it is going to take years, and a lot of money. My dad own's a few midas shops, so I have experience and a garage to work in. I am planning on starting with a bare fastback shell that is for sale a few hours away. It has the shell and basic chassis, much like the dynacore. No floor, firewall, anything. It has the full rollbar built into the chassis. My plans are a full build up including 4-link rear suspension, coil-spring front suspension, cross-drilled slotted brakes, a 418W stroker, manual transmission, Eleanor body, original interior, andA/C (chicago humidity).

I need help with all the little things that make the car fully functional. Wiring, fuel system, interior, and the little things like the door panel clips, power windows, all that stuff. My dad isn't very supportive with this build, as he doesn't believe in working that hard for a car (I know...). I think I have figured everything out, but pleaseremind me ofany little things that I need that I may have forgotten, and where to find it. I found most everything i need at mustangdepot.com, minus the engine. My one big concern is I can't find a manual transmission that can handle the 418W, or any manual transmission for that matter. any input will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advanced.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:58 PM
David09sp
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 68 fastback ground up build help

If I were you I would read a little about the 68 wiring and suspension and what not. Interior problems are sure down the road. Before I start project I usually read about it first, and in your case you definitely should. Go to mustangdepot or npd and buy some books on the mustang. And before you start, read, plan, and post your plan on the forums. People are sure to give you suggestions on what to do, order wise, and general and technical knowledge.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the reading up on the subject. Build a plan and put it on paper.....but expect to make a lot of changes to that plan. Your going to want to start with the firewall and floor panels first so that the car has some structural strenght to it. As far as a tranny for a 418 stroker....look for at least a 4-speed toploader...damned near bullet-proof. And with that big engine your gonna need a 9-inch rear-end. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:11 AM
68fastback_lover

basically I sat down and researched and came up with a start on the list. It is uncomplete, and has holes in it, but after 2 hours my head hurts trying to figure this out. It is not in any order. as I get suggestions I will change and update this list.

-Proformance Unlimited 408/418W stroker turn key crate engine (351W stroked to 418)
-mustangdepot 68' one piece floor pan
-rear sub-frame
-Mustangdepot 68' floorpan support
-Mustangdepot 68' firewall
-Mustangdepot 68' Eleanor bodykit with billet grille set
-Mustangdepot shelby tail light kit
-Mustangdepot eleanor light kit
-"Keep it clean" deluxe wiring system (from Mustang depot)
-battery tray
-battery tray hold down kit
-68' ignition switch w/ retainer
-Mustangdepot 68' back up light deluxekit
-starter solenoid
-headlamp switch
-mustang perfect fit A/Csystem for 351W (what bolt pattern, grooves, power steering?)
-Bullet side mirrors
-68' day/night rear view mirror, mirror arm, and mirror mount
-All the hardware kits from mustang depot
-Mustang depot side exhaustsystem with 3" tubing, x pipe, and eleanor tips
-Fatory design 68' coil-spring front suspension w/ dropped pivot (yes/no for eccentric eliminator?)
-Heidt's bolt in 4-link rear suspension w/ 55" housing and integrated brackets
-Mustangdepot 68' ultra anti roll kit
-performance shocks from my dad's midas supplier (mostly carquest)
-mustangdepot 68' deluxe fuel tank kit w/ drain
-flaming river tilt steering colum, polished SS, GM splined
-TCP 68' small block power rack and pinion conversion kit
-Motolita mark 3 supreme 14" steering wheel kit, GM spline, Mahogany
-Flaming river 68' bolt in manualrack and pinion conversion kit (includes everything but steering wheel)
-Flaming river 68' poly urethane steering coupler kit
-SSBC crossdrilled front and rear disc brake kits (what options? help please, check mustang depot)
-SSBC billet master cylinder
-brake lines
-American racing cobra 427 series polished rim/painted center 18x8 rims (what backspacing?)
-American racing painted lug nut cover
-side fuel filler kit (mustang depot)
-billet aluminum gas cap (no emblem)
-full fuel lines
-gauges
-billet aluminum gauge cluster
-seats (reproduction/factory style)
-floor carpet for fastback
-dashboard
-pedals
-dome light
-glove box and door
-A/C vents
-seat belts
-windsheild, door windows, ect
-weather strips
-electric life power door window conversion kit with switches
-68' outer door handles (show quality finish)
-Mustangdepot deluxe door panels and trim
-door panel clips
-Fastback headliner
-sunvisors and hardware
Old 07-21-2008, 11:05 AM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

You'll not use a FR steering box with a R&P unit. It's one or the other.

Dave
Old 07-21-2008, 05:14 PM
68fastback_lover

ok I changed the steering but I was thinking since I got the personal performance and body on the kit, and I just need all the little things that make the car, we could get some veteran rebuilders to help add and complete this list.Then we could sticky this topic for future DIYground-up builders to look at to make sure they get everything. After we get the list finished, I could put it into categories, too.

I haven't been searching to finish the list because I've been working but I will work on it when I have a chance. If you think of something to add to the list post it and I'llupdate it.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:45 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Did you rob a bank or inherit money? This list is going to cost thousands of $$$$. Before you commit to buying everything, you'll change your mind 20 times so take your time and don't rush the buying process. Plus, you will find things cheaper elsewhere. There are an unbelievable amount of nickle and dime stuff that will stick it to you. No way to plan for all of that. Good luck and I admire you determination for this multi-year project. Check out the tko transmissions, like the tko-600, sounds like it's rated for your hp apps plus you can get a 0.64 od gear.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:48 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

So where are you working? This is going to cost a pretty penny..
Old 07-21-2008, 05:55 PM
68fastback_lover

Yea I have great dedication. I work at my dad's midas shops. I can't technically work on cars yet because of insurance but im working quite a lot. I also have a 1980 jeep CJ7 renegade i need to sell. I'm estimating 3500 from the jeep, and around 1000 that I already have in the bank. I Understand it's going to take years to get the money, but atleast I won't have a grage full a parts waiting to be installed. I'll be able to install them as I buy them so. I could still buy a full car in need of resteration, as I haven't bought the shell yet, But the shell is rust free and the chassis just has surface rust that I can easily sand and then paint with anti-rust chassis paint.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Is this going to be a rebuild.............or a complete BUILD?? Looks like you have everything there on your list to build a car from scratch!! Might be cheaper to buy something thats not in as bad a shape and use the one you have now as a donor.

Quick Reply: 68 fastback ground up build help