Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Painted Bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 12:26 AM
67droptop1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Painted Bumper?

I kind of like the idea. I think I would take a se of old ones and do it. Then buy or rechrome a set that way if you decide you don't like it you aren't stuck. I guess it is a phase I am into right now I have powdercoated alot chrome on my harley to black out. The wife says no to leave the Mustang alone....but it is tempting
Old 07-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

True66 + LCC +1

Except for the hood and the color, the rest of the body isn't modded out, so the painted bumpers are inconsistent. If you want to paint the bumpers, lose the emblems, quarter panel ornament, and shave the handles. JMO. To chrome or not to chrome? That is the question.

CP
Old 07-26-2008, 11:18 AM
jasond393
1st Gear Member

I like the ideaof painted bumpres, I powerdcoated mine but not the body color. The stripes on my car are a gloss black, the bumpers are flat black. I also powercoated the door handles, front side marker lights, and I am working on the chrome that goes around the windshield and backglass

Old 07-26-2008, 11:23 AM
67BullittCoupe
3rd Gear Member

what a beast^^^^

have you thought about taking off your gille ornaments. just a black out grill?
Old 07-26-2008, 12:22 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

If you do paint the bumpers remember you have to strip the chrome off them and then normal body work applies.I have wondered what all the window trim would look like powder coated black or a gun metal color.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jasond393

I like the ideaof painted bumpres, I powerdcoated mine but not the body color. The stripes on my car are a gloss black, the bumpres are flat black. I also powercoated the door handles, front side marker lights, and I am working on the chrome that goes around the windshield and backglass

A good example of what I said in my reply. Your painted bumpers work because of the continuity of most of your other chrome pieces going black. When the bumper is the only modded piece on the car, it doesn't look like it fits, but that's just my opinion. The only opinion that is ever important is the owner's.

CP
Old 07-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Carlos Pineiro

True66 + LCC +1

Except for the hood and the color, the rest of the body isn't modded out, so the painted bumpers are inconsistent. If you want to paint the bumpers, lose the emblems, quarter panel ornament, and shave the handles. JMO. To chrome or not to chrome? That is the question.

CP
+1
I like the Kar Kraft car because it's a full blown restomod, complete with R-model valence. Anything less and it would look tacky.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

I am removing the front bumper on mine with the R model front and am going to paint the rear and continue the flamed ralley stripes on them. I also am removing almost all the chrome off my car. Except the engine bay.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:32 PM
jasond393
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67BullittCoupe

what a beast^^^^

have you thought about taking off your gille ornaments. just a black out grill?
I thought about removing the corrals and just leaving the pony, but i dont like the tabs in the 68 grill that you would see when you get up close (where they bolted up). Im not a big chrome guy, at all, but I thought that little bit would just set it off.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:43 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

You can get a 67 grill, not as meny tabs, or an aftermarket grill, no tabs..

Quick Reply: Painted Bumper?