Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

turboomg a carbed 289

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:47 AM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

Default Turboing a carbed 289 **UPDATE**

hey you guys, i havea 1965 mustang with mild mods, i just picked up a turbo kit for 250 bucks total (brand new big *** turbo, blow off valve, waste gate, and intercooler off my import buddys who blew their **** so i got all this brand new stuff for 250 dollars total). my question is can i turbo the carbed 289 (650 holley carb) or would i have to convert it to EFI. any help is apprecioated guys, thanks!

Last edited by EmperorOfChicken; 12-05-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:10 AM
KFC
1st Gear Member

Default RE: turboomg a carbed 289

There have been plenty of turbo carbed applicatons in the past, I don't know how easy it will be to find an intake for a carbed 289/302, primarily because I've never looked. I've never been decent at tuning a carb, adding a turbo would be a migrane waiting to happen trying to keep a carb tuned with the turbo. I'd rather deal with upgrading to EFI than to deal with the carb... but that's just me.

You could get the exhaust manifolds from a late model 5.0 turbo kit, one that brings the plumbing forward (since you don't have a pile of space between the headers and the shock towers.) You would want to port the heads so they can breathe if you havn't already. Are you running high compression heads, could be an issue with today's fuel? What are the specs on the turbo?

Old 07-29-2008, 02:14 AM
David09sp
1st Gear Member

Yes it can be done. I have seen a 390 with blow thru 750, and it worked amazingly.

"
"Turbocharging with a carb can be a little tricky for the simple reason that the boost level a turbocharger will provide generally is not linear - but there are ways around that no problem one of which is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator that's controlled by the amount of boost.

You'll generally find better spool-up times when the carb is after the turbocharger simply because fuel in the turbo resists it's turning more than just air. Once the turbo is up to speed (assuming it's sized correctly) this isn't a problem because the impeller has momentum."

So, yes it can be done. And it isn't as bad as it sounds, there are a couple short application directions online that I have seen about it. And am sure there is a book somewhere that addresses it. Accept the challenge and go for it.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:17 AM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

stock 289 block rebuilt recently should be able to hold a little boost, the turbo is a t3/t4 hybrid A/R .60 with a GT40r hot side and a gt30 cold. ive got the stuff to make the kit, the manifold i would probably bum off of a 5.0 turbo kit or somethin, im just wonderin what else id need to do (fuel system im sure) and if there are any write ups or advice anyone has to get the thing runnin. its got a drag built c4 so id put some decent gears in it and just fab up the intercooler piping. i could do the carb tuning on my own its just i dunno if i could make it happen, but seeing as how i dont really wanna buy another car and the v8 would spool the turbo much faster than some honda 4 banger. stock heads, lookin to buy some AFRs.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:41 AM
KFC
1st Gear Member

that's a good deal for just the T3/T4 alone. Is it a Garret/AirResearch or a knockoff? That's prolly more than you'll need for your 289 applicaton. I'd be happy to swap you straight up for the IHI off my T-Bird TC.[sm=yeahsmile.gif]

Oh yea...you'll need to make sure your fuel pump and delivery system will be able to keep up with the additional thirst.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:29 AM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EmperorOfChicken

stock 289 block rebuilt recently should be able to hold a little boost, the turbo is a t3/t4 hybrid A/R .60 with a GT40r hot side and a gt30 cold. ive got the stuff to make the kit, the manifold i would probably bum off of a 5.0 turbo kit or somethin, im just wonderin what else id need to do (fuel system im sure) and if there are any write ups or advice anyone has to get the thing runnin. its got a drag built c4 so id put some decent gears in it and just fab up the intercooler piping. i could do the carb tuning on my own its just i dunno if i could make it happen, but seeing as how i dont really wanna buy another car and the v8 would spool the turbo much faster than some honda 4 banger. stock heads, lookin to buy some AFRs.
Let me know how they work out for you, most everybody that hashad a set around here syas that they wouldve gotten something different if they had it to do over again. They have had bad luck with valve springs and guides. If you want a good head, maybe buy bare AFRcastingsand build them up to how you want them, with good springs and guides and helicoiled threads. Just my .02, but let me know how it works out for you!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:18 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Keep us informed. I'm trying to put together a 302 twin turbo 65. So far I've looked at the Retrotek EFI (and many others) and it seems like its much simpler that most others (such as the stand alones). Problem is, I can't find anyone that has used their setup.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:30 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

hows it hanging emp?

they make efi systems that use a 4bbl throttle body and utilize your carb'd intake - maybe you should look at going that route. i think that would be a pretty damn sweet setup
Old 07-29-2008, 02:28 PM
03Maverik
2nd Gear Member

The guys from cprstreetmachines have a turbo'd 67. Give them a shout. It would be cool to see this come to life!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 04:16 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

hey guys, i appreciate all the responses, and no ones bitchin at me this time! thats new! havent been around alot, been workin two jobs to afford these two beasts. the 65 is in the body shop, i got clipped on the highway and spun into a wall[&:] only damage was the front right fender, bumper and rear right wheel is ****. good ole steel car (my boy Hank!) saved me life! yeah, i know im gunna have to upgrade the fuel system, walboro 255 anyone evil, the more i think about it the more im considering an EFI swap just because of how much a bitch it would be to keep the carb tuned. i got a sweet deal for the turbo, its a Garrett ball bearing. brand spankin new. here ill show you!

turbo XS blow off valve off my buddys old sti, got it fo free!

brand new front mount got off my buddy who was gunna put it in his cobra...got it fo FREE!

I also have a wastegate off my buddys r33 gtr v spec skyline (dont know mm either 38 or 44, but ill make it work) but i have to go pick it up and im lazy

maybe ill reconsider the AFR heads, ive normally heard good things about them but i want this motor to last, once i start pushin REAL boost im gunna build it up, pistons rods etc.

another question, whats the compression on a stock 289? and how many PSI of boost you think it can hold? Thanks you guys!

Quick Reply: turboomg a carbed 289