Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Anti-Theft ideas?

Old 08-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Indycanard

Default RE: Anti-Theft ideas?

Actually, the Micro-Trak is $180, and no subscription.

See:

http://www.byonics.com/microtrak/mt8000fa.php

Works by sending your GPS position via the HAM repeater network (APRS) to the internet. Its really slick. This version requires a external GPS antenna to operate.

Byonics will be releasing a Micro-Trak All-In-One soon which includes the GPS antenna andHAM transmitterin one unit for $250. These units are hidden on cars/trucks and transmit when the power is on the vehicle.I really nice way to keep an eye on your car, even when a friend/spouse is driving it. Google search for "APRS" to learn more.

Indy
Old 08-06-2008, 09:50 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

No one's mentioned the trunk monkey.

Seriously, I will also have several levels of security to repel any future coffin fillers from taking my stang. You can never be too prepared. If all else fails, make sure you have good insurance. Get it appraised and make sure you and your insurance company agree on the value and make sure again that it is insured for that amount. Something about insuring classics; when a claim is made, many mods unless noted beforehand, can be wiped clean in an insurance check for blue book value, etc.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:18 AM
1sweet65stang
2nd Gear Member

Haha I would be devistated if mine was loaded up but mines in a garage with the garage door blocked by 2 cars but when i go out i am very afraid of what could happen. I also made sure that i agree with the cost of the car with insurance so if it were to be stolen i get back the right amount not 5 grand .
Old 08-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

For 17 years I´ve left the window down. No alarm, no locks. If some idiot breaks my window, I´ll have to pay through the nose to find a NOS ´69 replacement somewhere in Alabama. I´d rather they just open the door and take Debbie away to a chop shop. She´s insured for $25k. If she´s gone one day, I´ll finally get that convertible with power windows and a/c I´ve been dreamng about since 1991.

If you notice, in the random picture my friend took (in my sig), the window is down. Debbie was parked in downtown Santa Monica at the time.

So far nobody has screwed with Debbie, and I´ve left her parked for 2 days at LAX. If I didn´t have theft insurance, the car would probably be gone long time ago, lol.

CP
Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

I was going to mention the trunk monkey zmetalmilitia.

Seriously though.

1. Good Insurance.

2. Car Alarm with paging system.

3. Lojack/Microtrak

Those are the 3 steps you can take to ensure you either keep your current car or you get enough to replace it.

You could also try putting a pitbull in the car when you go to the store...although it gets hot around here.

Oh and Carlos...if you need that window someday, I'll go look for it.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:59 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

You can hide a kill switch anywhere. The best way is to buy a "return to off" switch, which means it's always stays disconnected unless you press it or pull it, and put it in line using theign to solenoid wire. Thus,you have to turn the ign and press the kill switch button at the same time, for the car to start. Trust me, it works. Second, simply add a single length of chain to your hood latch using one of the bolts.As you shut your hood, the chain drops down in front of the radiator. You simply loop it around a body part or support, and lock it with a pad lock, this way the hood can't be opened.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:05 PM
justaguy65

I added 7 security devices on my 65 coupe. This mght seem like going a bit over-board, but I am real paranoid when it comes to having my car stolen.

Heres all the security devices I added:

1. Wolo Hood Lock & Starter Cut-Off. Available at their web-site. Just google Wolo Security Accessories. This is really cool because it is a hood lock and kill switch combined into one unit. You have to mount the lock on the inside of your hood, make sure it is on the thickest part of the hood and be very careful to use metal screws that aren't too long, or they will go right through the top of your hood! It comes with a cable that gets connected to the hood lock. You must drill a hole through your firewall, about nickel size, and then mount the key lock under your dash. You then wire it to your starter silenoid. The under dash key lock is a push button type. You simply push it in to lock your hood and activate the kill switch. You use the special key to unlock you hood and deactivate the kill switch. It comes with simple installation instructions, took me a couple hours.

2. Wolo vent window locks. Also available at their web-site. These install on your vent windows and make them to where they will not open unless these are removed. Alot better than the stock ones. You still use your stock ones, these just install right above them.

3. Brake Pedel Lock. I bought mine at Pep Boys. It's red so it matches my car!!

4. Steering Wheel Lock. These by themselves are pretty much worthless. But when you combine them with a few other security devices, it just makes it that much more harder to steal your car!

5. Inside Door Lock Buttons. Replace your stock inside door lock buttons with the type that do not have an actual "button" on the top of it. That way no one can slip a wire clothes hanger around it and pull it unlocked from through your door window crack. But if they have a "slim-jim" they can still unlock your door.

6. Have a car alarm installed. I called a mobile auto security place and someone came to my house and installed an alarm for me. It's made by Astra and it is the model that has the pager system. Can't remember the acutal model number. It works great, you can be up to 200 ft away and the little pager that goes on your key chain will beep if someone messes with your car. It also shows what is setting it off, such as doors open, hood open, or just someone bumping it.

This is everything that I did to theft proof my car. I also park it in as safe a place as possible.

Last edited by justaguy65; 12-10-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Tang 72
2nd Gear Member

wow thats pretty far to go.... im probably looking into the microtrak deal and for now pulling the ol' coil wire... that hood lock/ cut of switch looks pretty sweet too... thanks alot for all the input guys
Old 08-29-2010, 10:30 PM
bdeesMach1

Hi, what kind of anti-theft brake device are you using? I just bought a "Brake Club" which fits on the brake pedal but does not fit on my 71 Mach 1 brake pedal? Thanks.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:40 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Here's what I've seen recommended in past threads on anti-theft devices.

I'll be doing at least a kill switch and possibly a viper alarm.

I also plan to do this.

http://www.ravelco.com/

They say they have never had a vehicle stolen.

But as everyone as suggested good insurance b/c a flat bed can get any car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anti-Theft ideas?