Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

$2800 Craigslist Find.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 06:41 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Default $2800 Craigslist Find.

Hey guys. New here. I am 17 and looking for a first, fun car. I do not like most newer cars, and enjoy looking for various older cars, and thought about a mustang. I found this 66 mustang on craigslist the other day. Its pretty cheap. According to the posting it runs and drives fine. I have yet to go look at it, but will. Here are some pictures.

The description of the car (sorry for the all caps, I did type it ):

1966 MUSTANG COUPE, SIX CYLINDER, AUTOMATIC, NEW BRAKES, MASTER CYLINDER, GAS TANK, FUEL PUMP, REBUILT CARB. GOOD TIRES, ALLOY RIMS. HAVE BRAND NEW FRONT AND REAR BUMPER FOR CAR. RUNS AND DRIVES, NEEDS PAINT(LOOKS BETTER IN PHOTOS)FADED BAD ON TRUNK AND HOOD/TOPS OF FENDERS. FLOORS ARE SOLID, NOT MUCH RUST ON CAR, DRIVE WHILE YOU RESTORE!

What do you all think? Looking for something to drive daily (maybe a little less than daily ) and to maybe do minor restore work to it. Paint especially on this one. What do you think?

Old 08-04-2008, 07:04 PM
tomnardozza
1st Gear Member

Default RE: $2800 Craigslist Find.

doesn't look too bad for that price.....check the rust situation and look under the front (notice the drivers side of the bumper sticks out farther than the pass side does) and make sure there's no problems there.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

that vinyl top just SCREAMS rust underneath to me...

There are better deals. Keep looking.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:26 PM
WildMustang351
3rd Gear Member

Looks ok, But there is alot of rust around the rear window (big headache) and under the vinyl top.

Another thing to check is bring a bottle of water with you,Check the floor inside to see if it is wet or damp, then dump the water down the cowl vents (below the windshield,like it was raining) then check the floor again for wetness to see if the water leaked inside from the cowl vents.

If it is wet then it spells big problems and frustrating to repair,Not impossible.But it is alot of work most people shy away from.
Check the trunk behind the wheel wells and under the rear fenders.Rust that is along seems is not that easy to fix (where two parts meet) Now days almost every part can be replaced on a classic Mustang,Just decide if that person replacing those parts will be you

In my market that is priced to high with all that rust,unless it's a rare model CS/GT ETC....
Old 08-04-2008, 07:27 PM
MonsterB
2nd Gear Member

there are a lot of places to place adds for your car. You dont need to dell it here.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:28 PM
WildMustang351
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Waffles

that vinyl top just SCREAMS rust underneath to me...

There are better deals. Keep looking.
Your a punk WAFFLES!! I was typing out a response and here comes good old WAFFLES to steal my thunder!!! [:@]
Old 08-04-2008, 07:32 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the fast responses. There are a few others lined up that I can look at. There is this one too:

http://longisland.craigslist.org/car/778540584.html

20x closer to my house to go look at.

Theres also this:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/car/782286751.html

Both are more expensive, but show a lot better condition.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:36 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

Those last 2 cars I think you will be better off with either one of those than the first one you showed.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:39 PM
WildMustang351
3rd Gear Member

Just from the pictures you provided I would check into the FARMINGDALE one first of all.It looks like it is at a dealership and in Oregon(NY might be the same) all safety equipment must be functional in order to be sold by a dealer to the public.
This means everything should be in working order.Brakes/lights/signals/gauges etc...
Old 08-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Keep in mind, if you're even thinking about swapping to a V8 in the future, it's not a simple matter of dropping a different engine in. You have to change pretty much the entire drivetrain along with the brakes and suspension. If you're looking for a V8 car, find a gutless V8 car and drop a crate engine in it. It'll be cheaper and less of a hassle in the long run.

Not that there's anything wrong with an I6, or any shortage of performance parts for them, but a lot of people start out trying to do a V8 swap and either skimp on the safety improvements or end up wishing they had started with a V8 car.

Quick Reply: $2800 Craigslist Find.