Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Before I buy what do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 04:39 PM
outdoordonn

Default Before I buy what do I need to know?

I'm interested in buying a 64 1/2 - 66 mustang convertible with a 289 engine. Is it true that this is rare to find a convertible car that originally had a 289? How can I check if the seller is truthful? What can I expect to pay? I'm obviously just beginning my search and would appreciate any information that may be helpful.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:58 PM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

First off what are you looking for? This will determine how much you are looking at for price. A perfectly restored show winning vert will be in the 25-35,000 price range. A nice driver will be from 8-20,000. A project will be from 1-8,000. And this depends on the options, original or modified and condition.

Take your time, do alot of reading and look at alot of mustangs. Bring a flashlight and mirror to take a good look at the underbody for rust.

Also 289s are very common.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:48 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Rust is the #1 issue. These cars are notorious for rust in the cowl and the floors (usually because of a leaking cowl). Pour water down the cowl vents in front of the windshield and see if it drips inside the car from under the dash. A good way to tell is to line the foward part of the floor with paper towels and see if there are any wet spots after pouring the water. The floors typically would rust where the front floor and kick panel meet. That area is easily seen from under the car. Here is a good shot of where the rust can happen. This is where I patched mine. The red outline is where I had cut out the rusted area. If the cowl is leaking that is a major repair. You pretty much take the entire front end off the car.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:36 PM
outdoordonn

Thanks for the information, very helpful. I'm looking for something, I guess, in the $15,000 range. I want something that I can drive often, looks good, runs well and I don't anticpate bringing the car to shows. I can't do work on the car myself and think that a project would be a bad purchase for me.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum!
Good choice on body style.
For a V8 convertible, you'd be looking at a VIN where the 4th digit is an 8, and the 5th digit is NOT a "T".
4th digit is body code. 8 is convertible, 7 is coupe, and 9 is fastback.
5th digit is engine code. A "T" in this position represents a 6 cylinder car. All other letters (A, C, D & K) represent a V8.
When you find a car you like, get in touch with the local Mustang Club of America. See if you can find someone willing to appraise the car for/with you. There are so many things with these cars. Since you are limited in what you can work on yourself, paying someone who knows the ins and outs to go over the car with a fine tooth comb, can really save you in the long run.
(IMO) $15K is a reasonable sum for a nice quality 2-3 driver, but plan on looking at quite a few. In that price range, I've seen good cars that need some sprucing up, and cars that look pretty on the surface, but are a mess underneath the paint.
I can not over emphasize the importance of getting someone who is very knowledgeable on Mustangs to inspect the car. Unless you've got money to burn.
Good luck! I'll look forward to seeing pictures of your prize when you get it.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:58 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

You'd be amazed what's on the market and called excellent condition, or great shape. Some of these cars are quick turn-arounds for quick cash, and nothing but bondo and a cheap paint job, targeting eager buyers. Vert's have a critical subframe and you need to be very careful. Pick up a pen magnet, tape measure, and a flash light and be prepared to get dirty. A small magnet will check for bondo, stick areas around windows and lower quarters. if there's bondo it won't stick. try it on your personal car, first, to see how the magnet reacts to good metal. tape measure to check fender to ground measurements are equal on the passenger and drivers side (not front to back) this is a quick check to tell you if the subframe is bent. flash light is to look under the car and dash, and inside trunk quarters. We all encourage you to pay someone who is qualified to inspect any possible purchases. Any reasonable seller will understand.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

If you're not all that car "savvy," get in touch with your local Mustang club and ask for guidence, or go to area cruise nights and smell around.

Research couldn't hurt either.

Collector Car Market Review Value Report

Mustang Decoding Information
Old 05-18-2010, 12:32 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

For 15k should get you a nice car no rust and pretty much ready to drive the snot out of it.And never buy any car with out a mechanic to look it over even if you gotta pay for it its better then buying a problem car.