Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

dual quad setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I've heard good things about the Pony Carbs 3x2 setup. While it's still probably not as efficient as a single 4 barrel setup, it certainly has the wow factor
Old 08-28-2008, 06:28 PM
mlager8
1st Gear Member

I see your point urban, I'm def not going the tunnel ram route, the whole point of the dual carb setup was to appear close to a stock GT350 289. Like you said, an oval air cleaner would hide it well but I guess it's just not worth the power loss to go dual quad. too bad it would look damn sweet Thanks for the article and advice
Old 08-29-2008, 08:47 AM
quesey
1st Gear Member

mlager8 its your car build it the way YOU want it.i personly love my motor setup with dual
quads like i posted before i'm running two 500s the most tuning i've had to do was lean the idle screws.it runs and drives great. and even with 2 motors built just alike on a dyno they will not make even HP#s they even said in the article they should have swaped intakes. articles are good starting points but as joe sherman told me and a buddy of mine when he was doing a set of heads for buddys car. about the articles they did on him DONT beleave everything you read. if 2 4s are the look you want dont worry about 0 to 40 HP unless you going to be doing alot of racing.with 2 500s they to are vac secondaries.and as htwheelz67 said they dont make alot of sucking noise all i hear is my tires and the motor hitting 6000 and it sounds really good doing it
Old 08-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

A 2x4 intake would work fine and make good power. Use a progressive linkage so you'll only run on one carb till you get on it. A dual holley intake would be cool, but they're hard to find. I have an old weiand 2x4 intake for carter/edelbrock carbs sitting in the garage. :-)
Old 08-29-2008, 12:02 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Quesey, with dual 500s on a 289, do your carbs even open the vac secondaries? Do you have both carbs' primaries opening at the same time? That seams like WAY too much carburetion for a small block of anysize. I do not see how both quads are really opening all four venturies. Maybe your vac secondaries are not opening which would explain why you have not had to tune much. If you had two mech secondary quads, you would run WAY rich at WOT...I would think.

Gary H, I agree a dual carb with progressive linkage would be cool, but again I argue to do it for the cool factor and not the performance b/c a single carb would work better.

mlager...do what ever you heart desires. I do not want to influence you to do something you don't want to do. It is your car, I just post here to help guys not bang their head against the wall if they do not plan to...:-).

Last edited by urban_cowboy; 08-29-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:16 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Originally Posted by urban_cowboy
Here is a article and test run on a 400cid chevy small block with dual quads vs single quad. Spoiler...the single carb wins.
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...est/index.html
they shoulda used a big block...

2x4 FTW!

love ours. and its a hell of a lot easier to tune then they were back in the day
Old 08-29-2008, 01:07 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I could see using 2x4 on a 500+cid bigblock for streetability. It is not easy to get vacuum secondaries and electric choke on a 850+cfm carb.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:17 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

I may be wrong... but I though the Shelby 289s just had the one 670 CFM holley on them??? Dual quads? Are you sure?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:57 PM
quesey
1st Gear Member

Quesey, with dual 500s on a 289, do your carbs even open the vac secondaries? Do you have both carbs' primaries opening at the same time? That seams like WAY too much carburetion for a small block of anysize. I do not see how both quads are really opening all four venturies. Maybe your vac secondaries are not opening which would explain why you have not had to tune much. If you had two mech secondary quads, you would run WAY rich at WOT...I would think

mine is a stock short block from a 91 mustang (302) and yes the secondaries do work and open.

yes both carbs are tied togethet both open at the same time.

now is it to much would it make 20 or 30 more HP with 1 carb maybe but as i said to mlager8 if he wants 2 4s then do it as i told people when i built my car when they pay for it they can use what they want. the 500s you buy as a kit from edlerbrock with intake are set up for dual 4s dont know what they do diff there website will tell you theres 500s for dual 4s

AND people love the way it looks and so do I ...............
Old 08-30-2008, 11:21 AM
mlager8
1st Gear Member

Thanks to everyone who replied, still love the look of the dual quads. Gunna ask around at the carshow this weekend, if the power loss is negligible I'll probably do the dual quads as originally intended. I guess ur right quesey, I'm not doing insane runs at the strip every weekend so the difference in hp is probably not even noticeable on street.

Quick Reply: dual quad setup