Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I NEED A JOB!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Celtic37
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Waffles
Yeah, try it. Come to Detroit. Our unemployment rate is the highest in the country... 14%
Only 14%? I thought it was higher
Old 10-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Timetravelinn
1st Gear Member

Wow 14% I think the nations average is like 7.9 and on the way up last time I heard...moving out of state wouldn't be that bad of a option, but I could never get my wife away from her family and sadly I'm a california guy born and raised. Not to even mention we are upside down like crazy on our house.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:29 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fordication
Better idea. Move to south texas. We are so short handed that we are using illegals to make up for the work force. We have no choice. We need more people and houses here are 1/3 the price anywhere else in the USA. Not to mention that pay rate is not too bad if you have experience and contacts.
Second that...I am north of Houston and still get head hunters cold calling me from time to time.

I also kept hearing about the horrible housing market at the first part of this year but we bought a new house before selling the old one. I moved in late December then spent a month or so fixing up the old place. When I put a sign in the yard at the old house I had an offer in six days then closed in late March.

I don't know but things are not bad at all in our neck of the woods.

Think Waffles is probably right about Michigan in general. Even years ago before I got out of public accounting I had a client that had a branch in Michigan. They were a public traded retail type outfit. They kept complaining about the high state taxes there and we came up with a complex idea of using leased employees, etc to lower the burden but then a partner on the job took a step back, noted that branch had never made money and suggested we just get the hell out of that state. Ultimately, that is exactly what the client did, closed those stores and hit the state line at a dead run.

Hope things work out for ya and keep your chin up but if all else fails we would be happy to have another classic Stang in Texas

Last edited by SJs 66coupe; 10-01-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 AM
GermanyBert

Here is a solution. http://www.goarmy.com And no...I am not trying to be a wiseass.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:52 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GermanyBert
Here is a solution. http://www.goarmy.com And no...I am not trying to be a wiseass.
It worked for me!

SGT E-5, US Army, July '68 to July '71
Old 10-01-2008, 09:20 AM
retro77
2nd Gear Member

Military is a good place to have a steady paycheck. Guaranteed 1st and 15th of every month. Not to mention, if your single, free housing and free meals.

Sgt, USMC 97-01/03-04 [Involuntary Recall]
Old 10-01-2008, 09:26 AM
GermanyBert

I retired from the Army in 1998. Since then worked as a DoD contractor and am now Department of the Army Civilian.

I can't complain.

The Army (and maybe also the Navy) has raised the enlistment age to 42.

If you do decide to join the Army let me know first though since they are offering a $2000 referral bonus to the person who gives the recommendation. We can split the $2000.00!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

Well as an example. I just took another job 4 months ago and it was a $25K increase here in Texas. That put me real close to my 100K goal with benefits. My house which is 1600 ft2 sold in 3 weeks of sell by owner. I got 45k more then I paid for it and the appraiser just left and told me that I could have gotten another 15k for it easy if I had wanted to. I just signed a contract for a 15 year old home in N. Houston with 3000 ft2 and little more then 1/4 acre of land for 155K. It was just renovated and it looks brand new with a swimming pool in the back yard. I am telling you that South Texas is the land of plenty and has been so for decades now. BTW you need to tell you wifes family to pack their bags and move with you. I am sorry and I know I am going to offend but California in general is a dead state run by communist symps and anyone that choses to live in that dangerous climate needs to have their head examined and their mustang taken away. JMO. LOL
Old 10-01-2008, 09:51 AM
retro77
2nd Gear Member

Nice one Fordication. Ya CA is a pricey place to live in and in order to feel like your earning 100k/year you really need to be bringing in like $150k/year. Make $100k/year in Texas and you'll feel rich.

California has our earthquakes, Texas has the hurricanes....choose your evil.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Yeah MI is dire. Our Governor is Canadian Trash (no offense to our canadian counterparts here, its that she is trash, not canada...) so she does things that benefit Ontario but hurt MI citizens.

Shes a fool. I wont even begin to talk about how she has hurt the state, but you're right on the money about taxes. she has driven away businesses that were here, and prevented new ones from coming in, because their taxes are outrageous. no one wants to bring work here... that on top of people buying hondas and toyotas and all the big three being located here, i mean christ, ford closed down one of their biggest plants a year or so ago, in wixom where they made the gt, crown vic, marauder, town car.... just closed it. its a huge gaping empty factory now about 5 mins from my place. its really sad.

our governor, the great Jennifer Granholm (I call her Jenny From The Block) last year sold off our road salt in like january because we had had a relatively easy winter. she thought we could make some money selling our road salt dirt cheap to ontario. a month later, we got 3 blizzards in 2 weeks, and steady snowfall through april. we had to buy road salt from like idaho or iowa or something for 3 TIMES the price we sold it to ontario for... all out of tax payers pockets. shes a fool.

homes are dirt cheap... but no one can afford to buy them. all the people taking buyouts from the big three are trying to move out of statre and cant really, because no one will buy their house.

i have no problem moving to texas, and the wife is all for moving out of state once i am done with my schooling, ill get a job and she can finish college somewhere else. this state is terrible.

Quick Reply: I NEED A JOB!!!