Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What to hit it with?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:30 PM
green_blurr
3rd Gear Member

Default What to hit it with?

I have a few spots that are pitted with rust on the roof and along the rain gutters and sail panels. what can i apply over them and topcoat with body filler/primer/paint? i was thinking por15 but i dont know if thats too heavy for an area like the roof where it will be seen any takers?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:35 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

id sand blastr the pitting then spray it with epoxy primer then sandable primer.

por15 isnt really sandable, it doesnt like to feather out
Old 10-23-2008, 12:44 AM
green_blurr
3rd Gear Member

jeez any other way of doin it? sandblasting makes a huge mess
Old 10-23-2008, 12:51 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

get a small spot blaster from eastwood, they have tips that are self enclosed.
you can use some sand paper and then phosphoric acid then the epoxy primer etc. but i like to blast stuff like that to make sure.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

Ideally it should be blasted or acid treated, neither of which will seem very tempting to you. If it's going to get more body work and paint later it can probably be put off until then, otherwise you will need to be careful. You could coat the rust in por15 and go from there, but it's not near as good a repair.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Agreed with everyone about blasting it. That is the best way to go. I'd guess if you prepped the roof properly the POR-15 would work but I'd rather see the extra work done.

We sand blasted ours, beat out a couple dents in the roof from prior owners then shot it with a cheap primer because it was going to be sitting for a few months.

Because we're installing a Vinyl Roof I decided to protect it and used POR-15. I took off all the cheap primer with Lacquer Thinner in about 30 minutes. You MUST use the Marine Clean and Metal Ready in accordance with the directions! Do not skip these steps! I sprayed the roof, drip rails, front and rear window grooves with 2 or 3 coats of POR-15 then hit it with a mist coat of Epoxy Primer before the POR dried. Next day I hit it with another 2 coats of the Epoxy.

I hope POR-15 works like it says. Between it and the Epoxy the damned roof should never rust out in my lifetime. Also hit the floors, chassis, frame rails, trunk, inside doors, dash, cowl, both sides of the firewall, fenders and entire engine compartment inside and out with the POR-15. This was a butt load of work and even more time so I certainly hope it was worth it. Guess I'll fine out in a year or two...

Notes:
  • POR-15 absolutely loves sand/glass/media blasted metal.
  • Warm to hot water is best with Marine Clean. Cold water is useless.
  • We didn't use the POR Solvent to thin the POR-15 or for cleaning. Sprayed the POR-15 straight with an HVLP gun and it worked great.
  • Lacquer Thinner worked great for cleaning the gun, hands, etc.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:57 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

por 15 is awesome, we sanded down my brothers entire 69 cougar and sprayed the entire car in por15 then por tie coat primer it has been in the weather for the last 2 years.

no surface rust what so ever i live about 3 blocks from the ocean and it is extremely humid here
Old 10-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

rmodel.. great to hear! I've got 2 to 3 coats just about everywhere except for the exterior quarters, doors and fenders (those are done inside however) and outside 2 coats of Epoxy primer. Opted for Epoxy primer over the tie coat as I had 4 gallons given to me.

We live in South Jersey so the weather isn't too bad and the ocean is about 45 minutes drive. We have tossed the idea of moving back to Eastern Canada in the future though and I've seen new cars rust out in a couple years up there with the winters, salt and ocean. Bad bad place for classic cars unfortunately.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:22 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I keep reading the title of this thread thinking: HIT IT WITH A HAMMER!! thats how I usually fix things..

I didnt think you were supposed to use por 15 on exterior pannels that were supposed to be finished.. Its kinda hard to work with..
Old 10-24-2008, 08:38 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

it doesnt feather well, but if you go ahead and use the tie coat primer you can start from there and it will be fine

Quick Reply: What to hit it with?