Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Grab-A Track leaf/coil suggestions for 66 GT fastback?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Beaker39
1st Gear Member

Default Grab-A Track leaf/coil suggestions for 66 GT fastback?

i was looking at Grab-A-Tracks for spring replacement. I was going to consider the GT version all around, but many out here seem to be fans of 4 1/2 leafs. I am riding OE springs...obviously shot and sloppy( to be expected after 40+ years). My only worry is that after going through the trouble of replacing them, I don't want "stock sloppiness"--even if they are GT replacements, either. BTW, I will be matching them with Edlebrock AIS. How about coils?
Old 10-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

depends what you want to use your car for.

most of the "performance" kits will have you believing that by making your car ride stiff and rough that it will perform better in the corners. in reality, it just flexes elsewhere.

my fastback is set up too stiff at the moment and every time i hit the bends, it pops the rear seat latch. Any sort of mid corner bump has the tail stepping out but not in a fun controlled sort of way.

post a bit more about what you want from the car and your driving style.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:17 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

[QUOTE=Aussie66Fastback;5588352... Any sort of mid corner bump has the tail stepping out but not in a fun controlled sort of way.
[/QUOTE]
that sounds familiar :-)
Old 10-27-2008, 06:26 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Sub-frame connectors will help with the flex. Your descriptions are classic unibody flex. A six pont or better roll cage is even better.

I like the 4.5 leafs with rubber or milodyn bushings. With everything else stiff, poly will squeek unless you lube it constantly (or have a loud exhaust!). Plus, with a now stiff chassis, the slight amount of flex you want will be taken up by the bushings.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Beaker39
1st Gear Member

Well, I will be driving this car as a street driver. It came factory with GT options, so that is why I was leaning towards the GT springs and coils. I do not have a realistic impression of the ride since the springs/coils are 40 years old. Also, the front looks uncomfortably high. I suppose this will correct with new leafs. Grab-A-Track defines their GT springs as "slightly" more stiff than stock. The 4 1/2 springs are listed as stiffer than GT. I want a comfortable ride, not jarring and not squishy.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The factory GT springs were slightly stiffer than the non-GT springs, and if you're going for ride quality, that's what I'd recommend.

I recently put a pair of 4.5 leaf mid-eye springs from M+ in the back of my 67. I love them, but they're on the stiff side for most people's tastes. The Edelbrocks help absorb a lot of the road shocks (compared to the Gas-A-Justs I had before), but only so far. With your lighter 66, I think a pair of GT 4-leaf springs would do you well.

Instead of Grab-A-Trak springs, however, I'd recommend getting them from Glazier's Mustang Barn or NPD. Both places sell OEM springs so you're guaranteed to get the correct ride height. I've seen many instances where non-OEM springs end up giving the customer improper ride heights.

PS: even when brand new, Mustangs sat slightly lower in the rear. Rear leafs should help, but you may consider drop springs (or just a Shelby drop) for the front if you're not satisfied.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Beaker39
1st Gear Member

Hmmmm....

NPD doesn't seem t have GT coils, just stock.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Sorry, I was referring to the rear leaf springs. GT leafs are slightly stiffer than non-GT leafs. I don't believe there was a difference for the front for GT models. Coils varied depending on engine size and whether or not the car had a/c, but not for trim options.

If you're looking to lower the front, call NPD or Glazier's and see what they have available. You can also call Eaton Spring direct and have them custom make you a set of springs to ensure you get the exact ride height you want.