Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Restoration Project Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Eleanor2b

Default Restoration Project Help

I have a 68 Stang that I intended to turn into Eleanor. I intend to do this a little at a time, thus I am looking for comments in which the order of events should take place.</P>

Here are my thoughts:</P>

1) Stereo: Put the custom system in before the interior is done, power locks, and power windows.</P>

2) Body parts: Since the side pipe parts are needed for the exhaust. Add only the body parts, but do not paint the car.</P>

3) Engine: Drop in 427 Cobra Jet, convert auto to manual, beef-up supension, convert non-power drum brakes to power all-wheel stainless steel dics brakes, and add AC.</P>

4) Interior: Leather seats, dash, door panels, etc. New dash instruments.</P>

5) Wheels: New tires and wheels.</P>

6) Paint.</P>

Thanks in advance for your feedback.</P>

</P><edited><editID>Eleanor2b</editID><editDate>37926.492962963</editDate></edited>
Old 11-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Jugador1
I ♥ Acer

thats a bbbbiiiiiiggggg undertaking man. but those eleanors do sell for a lot more than (i think) they should. but logically that order seems choice. paint last is definately the way to go though. interior doesnt necessarily have to go third to last, but should definately be after the stereo and power locks, windows, and the engine/tranny conversion. and i dont think where the engine gets dropped in matters as long as its before the interior and wheels. but ur order agrees with all that so it doesnt matter.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:23 PM
kobyiso

what about the fiber kits?</P>

and to put the 71mach1 fuel cap on the side of the car (if ul find 1?)</P>

and u need to change cooling system and handling?</P>

and what about put the battary to theback of the car?</P>

and put poligrafit bussings at all the car?</P>

do u have money and time?</P>
Old 11-01-2003, 08:19 PM
quig
1st Gear Member

Not to be an ***, but since you are from CA I assume your car has no rust. They didnt get the nickname Rustangs for nothing. Anyway I have a 67 FB that I've owned since 79 and am still regretting some of the things I did to it when I was younger. These cars are some of the nicest looking cars ever and I think you should carefully consider any mods. I dont know how old you are but you could have your car for a long time after the popularity of the movie car fades. I also have a 68 El Camino that I got in 78 these cars have outlasted 2 wives and will probably out last me. But whatever you do take your time and dont cut corners and it will be nice.</P>

Quig</P>
Old 11-20-2003, 12:30 AM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

I say more power to you for taking on a big project like that!!! You can find some good information on Eleanor stuff at: http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/vehicles/60sec/index.htmlJust remember that fiberglass body kits are NEVER straight out of the box, and you WILL need to do extensive body work to make them straight. Good luck!! Hope it comes out nice.