Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need some encouragement

Old 11-30-2008, 11:55 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

Default Need some encouragement

Hey guys. Ive been a member of this forum for a long time now and have learned a lot and hopefully even helped out a few people along the way. I have a 66 coupe that I bought when i was a sophemore in highschool. The car was in rough shape and I have had to spend a ton of money just to get it to the point where it is now.

Basically I am at the point to where I am wondering if i will ever get my car finished. I haven't been able to work on it much due to me being in college now and my dad stays so busy running his business that he doesn't really have time to help me work on it

The last pic is pretty much how the car sits now, the only thing i have gotten done is the front and rear suspension.

i think i am ready to take it to a body shop to get it bodyworked and painted but i've already been screwed by one body shop so i am kind of skeptical of them all now

You guys got any tips? words of wisdom? anything?
Attached Thumbnails Need some encouragement-stang.jpg   Need some encouragement-stang2.jpg   Need some encouragement-stang3.jpg   Need some encouragement-stang4.jpg   Need some encouragement-stang5.jpg  

Last edited by dcohen; 12-01-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I've had my car since '01 and I'm not even close to being ready for body work. I'm still working on chassis/drivetrain stuff. Keep your chin up and keep at it. Half the fun is in the work you put into the car, IMO.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:38 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I wish I could give you the easy way out, but the only thing to do is to move ahead the best way you can and learn as you go.

Follow the photobucket link in my sig. You and I are/were on similar path but at different times. I have had the old car since I was 14. I struggled along for many years doing the best I could with my limited skills and funds with no help from anyone.

Even so, I got the car to a drivable stage before fate parked it for many years. About 2 months ago I started on it again. In the process I have found that alot of the work I did as a kid really sucked. (See the pictures of my "scrap pile",,,, ouch)

Even so, I still have the car, now I am older and wiser. Now I have the Internet to help me along, now I have a little cash to help things along. I have learned some in the process.

I have learned that I would not trade all of the "bad choices" I made earlier for much of anything. I have learned more from bad choices than I will begin to admit.

Building a car is not a sacred art. In spite of what might be prevailing opinion on a forum like this, IT IS OK IF YOU DON'T DO EVERYTHING RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. Keep things safe but don't be afraid to do things twice, thrice, or even more.

Sometimes it is not only an OK choice "not to do it right", but it can in fact be the best choice for the moment at hand. If you intend on keeping the car for the long term you can always go back to do things right later, you will remember where the "skeletons" are.

Get the car up and running asap, a running and driving car provides it's own motivation. You DO NOT need to do everything (while you have it apart) in one shot. Mustangs come apart and go together easy, use this to your advantage. Make the car safe and drive it (drum brakes can be very safe) while you work on it.

Divide your work into bite sized portions, give yourself smaller achievable goals and move forward.

Don't "think about" the work you have to do when you are supposed to be working on the car. Do your thinking before you even go to the garage. "Thinking" about all the work you have to do will steal away your ambition. When it is time to work, work.

Use your resources! I wish I had the Internet when I was a kid, it would have saved me a lot of trouble!

When in doubt just do something.... you might be wrong, but you will make progress and learn how to do stuff in the process, besides, you can fix anything you might screw up.

You will do some things right, and some things not so right. Go back and fix your screw ups later. Avoid lopping off any fingers, putting out eyes, dropping cars on your head, burning down the shop/house, and pretty much everything else can be fixed.

Go Forward, Move ahead, try to detect it, it's not too late... to Whip it, into shape....

You just can't give up... because I said so.... I will not allow it....

Last edited by JMD; 12-01-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:44 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

instead of paying buy a 80 gallon 2 stage compressor and a paint gun and a da sander and do it yourself
Old 12-01-2008, 07:00 AM
73 Sportroof
2nd Gear Member

Words of wisdom fro JMD.

Hang in there. My '73 sat in the backyard for 10 years before I started working on it again.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:48 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

I can relate to what you are going through.

I didn't really go to college until I got out of the Army in 1971. Before that I took a few courses but was not properly motivated. Once I finally got into college and serious about it, all I had was the GI bill and part time jobs. In spite of that I managed to build a 40 Ford Coupe Street Rod, but it took a long time.

The reason it took such a long time was that I realized that my top priority had to be finishing school. Now my daughter is a senior in college and I'm just trying to keep her focused on graduating.

To my daughter and to you, the most important advice I can give is to HAVE PATIENCE! You have 30 or 40 productive career years ahead of you. Focus on school now. Once you've graduated, you can get your career in full swing and have the time and money to pursue other interests.

The WORST thing you can do at this stage of your life is to let a car, a girl or anything else make you lose focus on school.

While you're in school it seems like graduation will just never, ever happen. Believe me, that day will come as long as you don't lose focus and your life will be much better for it. The car will still be there and you will be able to do an even better job on it.

Both my kids enjoyed watching "The Karate Kid" when they were young. Many times while they were growing up I would look at them straight in the eyes and say "FOCUS" in the same accent as Mr. Mayagi. They usually got the message.

FOCUS! Your fun car time will come.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

JMD is right. Do the bare minimum to get the car running and driving, and your perspective will change.

I bought my bucket-o-bolts barely driving for $500. It took 3 years of working on it little by little.

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

Don't try to envision all the jobs or you'll get discouraged. Just pick a task like front suspension, and focus on that. I worked my regular job full time, and could only do one wheel at a time. Eventually, I ran out of stuff that needed to be fixed.

Well, almost, lol.

CP
Old 12-01-2008, 08:29 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

+1 to what JMD said, "Divide your work into bite sized portions, give yourself smaller achievable goals and move forward."

I have been doing that and so far managed to achieve everything I set out for myself to get done this year and it encourages you. Is my car perfect? No, far from it but I set some pretty high goals for myself and managed to meet them, i.e. new floor pans are in, new carpet is done, replaced the rusted old exhaust with rust free exhaust, wiring is coming along even got the reverse lights to work finally this weekend, rust on the roof is gone, etc.

My car is far from "done" but reaching a "first set of goals" gives you a sense that you have accomplished something and will encourage you along the way. Now I am sort of assessing what else needs to get done on the car and trying to prioritize the order of things moving forward because there is a laundry list of things that I need or want to do going forward. For example, do I rebuild and beef up the engine first or get the paint / body work done first....

At least you got started while you were young. I didn't get started till I was 36. Often think if I had started on my car when I was younger it would have taken longer in the grand scheme of things but I would be way ahead of the game at this point.

Rebuilding and maintaining one of these old cars is not a sprint....it is a marathon so keep the long term focus in mind.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Yup.. have to agree with JMD here. At this point just get the car painted and back together. If the parts still work put them back on and replace later when you can afford to replace them with parts not ripped, torn, pitted, discolored, etc. This way you can at least drive it and get some enjoyment from it.

I remember when I first stripped ours down, saw the rust in the floors, toe boards, quarters and a bit in the frames, I sat in the car and had my father laugh at me. He said.. I don't think you figured on this much to replace. I was totally speechless and we called it a day. That night I set myself to the long haul and decided to just fix, rebuild, replace and pretty much build a new 40 year old car knowing it wouldn't be a 6 month project. Knowing I had the means and funds to do this I know it'll see the road next year.

Since you likely don't have the funds at this time, given that your a student, just get it back together ignoring all the little things. Get the body together, primed, sanded and painted.. even doing this yourself just to get it done with the knowledge that you can always have it professionally repainted again down the road. Then get the wiring, engine, interior, etc all back in regardless of its shape or condition. It doesn't take that long to reassemble a car with the original parts after paint... I think it took us 7 days after paint to get everything back into my fathers car.

You need to have fun with it and enjoy the process. Even if this reassembly isn't fun just get it done and then drive it or leave it alone and concentrate on school.

Good luck and remember to have fun with it! Most of us have been where you are in 1 way or another.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Jaded
2nd Gear Member

I agree with JMD also.

One thing that also helps me along too is remembering that this is my hobby. I have one running that runs great but has little things that need to be done, and one in the garage that needs a lot of work. I don't have to rush the project, in fact it's on hold because the money I had set aside for my daughter's college was wrapped up in the market. I had cash set aside for the car, so I did a swap.

Working on a car will keep you out of trouble, it's also a great teacher for everyday life. I've learned patience, foresight, planning, budgeting, and priority from this hobby.

BTW, that car looks very well done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some encouragement