Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Edelbrock 1406 carb help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:57 AM
runway1
1st Gear Member

Default Edelbrock 1406 carb help!!

I doing a 302 with an Edelbrock performer manifold and 1406 carb.

I have three linkage "adapters", 1490,1844 & 1483. How the heck does the throttle and trani-kickdown linkages work with these adapters? Edelbrock doesn't supply any pics and you would think it was self explanatory - it's not; and I'm not a newbie.

When the throttle is wide open, it doesn't have the travel to hit the kickdown. The "adapters" don't have any parts to get it there. Also, there's no apparent way to attach the throttle rod to their adapter and the stock retaining clip doesn't allow the mechanism to work! I'm a picture guy. Anybody have pics of this installation?
Old 12-29-2008, 01:02 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Perhaps this will help:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_.../1000/1483.pdf

On a 65, is the kick down on the carb or does it attach to the firewall mount of the accelerator pedal?
Old 12-29-2008, 01:22 PM
runway1
1st Gear Member

Believe me, I've stared at that sheet longer than I care to think about.

The stock kickdown mounts to the back of the manifold on a bracket about 8" behind the carb - toward the firewall. When you stomp on it, the throttle rod has a dog-leg bend that catches, hits the kickdown lever and pushes it back.

If you look at that pic, how is the kickdown (8" away) supposed to interface with this without a pusrod or something of the sort? The instructions say is something like " mount this up here and make sure there's no interference". Not much help.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:13 PM
gwb16
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by runway1
Believe me, I've stared at that sheet longer than I care to think about.

The stock kickdown mounts to the back of the manifold on a bracket about 8" behind the carb - toward the firewall. When you stomp on it, the throttle rod has a dog-leg bend that catches, hits the kickdown lever and pushes it back.

If you look at that pic, how is the kickdown (8" away) supposed to interface with this without a pusrod or something of the sort? The instructions say is something like " mount this up here and make sure there's no interference". Not much help.
runway - I had the same issue as you and after studying and cussing up a storm for a few hours, I finally threw in the towel and ordered a Lokar Kickdown Cable. It worked like a charm. I suppose that I could of made a rig to make up the difference but I wasn't interested in fabricating anything.
Regardless of how I looked at it, it was going to foul SOMETHING The kickdown lever for my car was for a 2BBL stock carb so I think that's where most of my issues came from. I tried calling Edelbrocks Tech Support line and all I got was the standard "mount it so it doesn't foul anything". I'll take a few pictures and post it for you this evening. So at least you can see what the Lokar looks like mounted.

Also this was for my 78....not sure about the 65 geometry....

Last edited by gwb16; 12-29-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:33 PM
runway1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gwb16
...The kickdown lever for my car was for a 2BBL stock carb so I think that's where most of my issues came from. ......I'll take a few pictures and post it for you this evening. So at least you can see what the Lokar looks like mounted.....
Yup, I'm replacing a 2bbl also. Any pics would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:36 PM
gwb16
2nd Gear Member

PM me if you want the high resolution photo. I'll e-mail it to you.
Attached Thumbnails Edelbrock 1406 carb help!!-copy-of-pc290238.jpg  
Old 12-29-2008, 06:06 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Sorry if I don't get it. I used this MrGasket linkage adapter. Heated up the stock accelerator rod and straightened the bend at the end. It was a no-brainer. This allowed me to used the stock kick-down configuration on my C4.
Attached Thumbnails Edelbrock 1406 carb help!!-mrg-1512_w.jpg  
Old 12-29-2008, 08:26 PM
runway1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gwb16
PM me if you want the high resolution photo. I'll e-mail it to you.
Thanks, gwb. I think I'm going with your plan-A; fab up something to work. It's quicker and cheaper. You gave me some good ideas. Thanks, again!

Last edited by runway1; 12-29-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:32 PM
runway1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by groho
Sorry if I don't get it. I used this MrGasket linkage adapter. Heated up the stock accelerator rod and straightened the bend at the end. It was a no-brainer. This allowed me to used the stock kick-down configuration on my C4.

That's one way and thanks for the help but I have a better "no-brainer" (at least fo me); For $0.00 and a piece of sheet metal JB welded to the dog leg you straightened out and BAM, I'm done.

The dog leg is currently ~1.0" short of the kickdown. A short plate with a notch to catch the lever and I'm done in about 20 minutes.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:05 PM
colostang
2nd Gear Member

I had the same problem with a 289, C4, 1406 combo. In the end I used one of the supplied brackets, flipped it upside down and welded a small extension on it. Painted it up black and she works great. Whatever you do, find a way to get that sucker engaged.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock 1406 carb help!!