Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

pinion angle or driveline?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Gun Jam

-Scott

Lets say I happen across a Ron Morris adjustable mount but one that is standard height...can I easily make it so it lowers the engine .5"? Or do the ones that lower the engine have special bends and such?

-Gun
Old 03-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-23-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:54 PM
ole blockhead

Gun

This is just a total shot in the dark. But, could your problem be in the clutch?? Pilot or Throwout bearing or maybe an issue with the plate
Old 03-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Gun Jam

well the engine and rotating parts like plate and flywheel are are very smooth even at higher RPM like 4 to 5k. The car is smooth until about 70 and you can just barely feel it but by 83 its profound. You feel it in the shifter handle and pedals mind you the engine is turning about 2650 RPM at this point. I was able to make the vibration worse by adding the 6 deg shim.

I agree with the shop that the issue is too large of an operating angle. I have had bent axels, unbalanced tires stuff like that. This is nothing like those issues. putting in the clutch doesnt help instantly....it does help after about 4 seconds but that's secondary to speed decreasing below 75.

Thanks for the input!

-Gun
Old 03-26-2009, 03:57 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i'm changing clutch an pilot bearing. ut if it would be that then the vibration would be in relation to rpm. our problem is in relation to speed which rules out engine and clutch
Old 03-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Gun Jam

Well I got them Ron Morris motor mounts (Snakes this is all your fault ) I got them from mustangs plus...the guy there didnt think they would help...hell I dont know if nothing else I can stop tearing the cheep ones I got and move the engine back.

My question is now... By dropping the motor .5" will that give me .5" more clearance between the t5 and then tunnel?

If yes

then I can shim the trans up until it almost hits the tunnel thus reducing the operating angle. BUT are those through bolt motor mounts going to prevent me from raising the trans (this just occurred to me) By moving the trans up somethings gotta flex will these motor mounts flex enough to allow the trans to move up about .5"

-Gun
Old 03-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
Well I got them Ron Morris motor mounts (Snakes this is all your fault ) I got them from mustangs plus...the guy there didnt think they would help...hell I dont know if nothing else I can stop tearing the cheep ones I got and move the engine back.

My question is now... By dropping the motor .5" will that give me .5" more clearance between the t5 and then tunnel?

If yes

then I can shim the trans up until it almost hits the tunnel thus reducing the operating angle. BUT are those through bolt motor mounts going to prevent me from raising the trans (this just occurred to me) By moving the trans up somethings gotta flex will these motor mounts flex enough to allow the trans to move up about .5"

-Gun
By Lowering the engine you will lower the transmission at the bellhousing some. Maybe not .5". But at the same time the transmission will pivot on its mount and make the tail raise.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Gun Jam

No...for the trans to move up in the tunnel the engine must pivot from the motor mount...right? The trans is connected to the engine real good by the bell housing. If the trans move up into the tunnel (by me using a floor jack) then the motor mounts must flex to accommodate the trans...Now the motor mounts dont need to flex much maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch because they are the hinge point (works like a door) but they must flex....will I be okay?

wait I see what your saying...that actually makes sense. you are right....the trans mount becomes the pivot point...crap I need to draw a picture

-Gun

Last edited by Gun Jam; 03-26-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Gun Jam

yeah Nick you're totally right!

If I were smarter like masters of engineering or something I would measure the distance from the motor mount to the X member then use that distance as a lever arm and calculate the angle change at the X member with a .5" drop on the motor mount side of the lever....oh wait

-Gun
Old 03-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Gun Jam

Okay for what its worth:

using a broom handle I made marks using real numbers 1 mark was the motor mount and the 2nd mark was the trans mount spaced apart by real measurements from the car. Broom handle was suspended it by 2 strings 1 sting was placed at motor mount mark the 2nd was placed at trans mount. Broom handle was set at -3.5 deg. The string at the motor mount was lowered .5" and the angle again read... angle now indicates -1.5 deg.

So in theory lowering the motor mount .5" should reduce operating angle from - 3.5 to -1.5...

I guess we will find out if I screwed up on my little test.....quite possible

-Gun

Quick Reply: pinion angle or driveline?