Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

pinion angle or driveline?

Old 04-23-2009, 05:44 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
Kalli / Scott

Or anybody for that matter

If you guys get under your car and push up on the DS a few times with light to moderate force do you see the slip yoke flex up and down in the tailshaft?

Bruce said you shouldn't see any flex at all I see a clearly noticeable amount of flex and it takes not much effort. I can still see flex when I slide the DS all the way in... Would a new slip yoke really make that much difference?

-Gun
i'll check for you. bummer I didn't see it earlier as I was just uinder the car.
So it'll take another day or two. But I'm quite positive that there is none and that there shouldn't be any
I only rember a bit of play in the u-joints (very minimal) between the clips, but nothing else. Nevertheless will check.

I'm quite sure that this is a god bit of your problem since you have your vibration coming from tailshaft. Wil get back to you on this
Old 04-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Gun Jam

Thanks...I might post video of the play just for reference..I'm very interested in what you find!

Thanks again

-Gun
Old 04-23-2009, 09:50 PM
phutch11
1st Gear Member

Hey guys, as it turns out the simplest solution is usually the right one....and it turns out that my springs settle a tremendous, and important amount.

B/c my car is lowered, I have always jacked the car up, put concrete blocks under the tires and then lowered the car so that the car would be at ride height, but so that I could get under it. Well, I would jack it up and then immediately crawl under and measure the angles - they would always come back as I reported earlier in the postings...dead on.

This time I let the car settle for several days b/c I had other fish to fry, then crawled under the car to re-measure - turns out that car does settle and the driveline angles change. Measuring now, they look much closer to what everyone else reported.

Tranny: -4
Pinion: 0

Doh!

Just ordered some wedges from Summit.

Thanks guys - AND LET THE CAR SETTLE!!
Old 04-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Gun Jam

Im guessing you got 4 deg wedges?

That will give you a total operating angle of 8.
If you have my luck it should make the issue much worse once you install the shims...

let us know what you find.

-Gun
Old 04-24-2009, 04:08 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

don't knoiw if he wegese it up with 4 degrees he should be in straight parallel to tranny
from whatever I read the thing that seems very common is that an installed rear-end in a ford always seems to sit at 4 degrees pinion up. or should be
so i'd say he might be lucky :-]
Old 04-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Gun Jam

Im eagerly awaiting the results....

-Gun
Old 04-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Gun Jam

Default nuff dickn' around and guessing at slip yoke play

Hello

For everyone's benefit I made a nice high quality video not crap you see on youtube...of course this video is only 25% of original quality. The original looks better than real life but most people dont have the necessary stuff to play it back so here is this one http://www.3rflying.com/slipyoke.mp4

Is this excessive play????

Is this the reason I get a serious vibration at 83+ Mph?

It has NEW tailshaft bushing, Would a new Slip yoke fix the problem??

let me know what you guys think!!

-Gun
Old 04-24-2009, 04:50 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Looks like a lot of movement to me. I can understand in and out slip movement for suspension travel, but not wobbling play like that. It is almost like the yoke and output shaft one have jacked up tolerances.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Gun Jam

force was applied along the Z axis (up/down)

It kinda looks like a lot to me too but its a damn bushing I can't imagine it be perfect but maybe better than that....I dont know... Thats why I made the vid...

-Gun
Old 04-25-2009, 05:24 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Hi Gu,

good video. was under the car last night. as said I have a bit of play in the u-joint. bewteen the clips. as if the ears would have been a bit bent out.
but on the yoke I have very minimal play. i couldn't measure as I don';t have a dial gauge. i couldn't make a video as you couldn't really see anything.
but it seems way less what you are having.

I still have my money on yoke to far out. disconnect the driveshaft, push the yoke fully in and then maybe half inch out again. see what your play looks like then

Kalli

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pinion angle or driveline?