Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 01-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #21
Gun Jam

Send a message via ICQ to Gun Jam Send a message via AIM to Gun Jam Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Jam

For being an "easy" adjustment...pinion angle has a lot of shops worried. I called like 4 places. 1 shop wouldn't let me spend money with them because they were sure it was a drive line balance issues. 2 shops where sacred to touch anything. the last place had to ***** to check it but wasn't sure if he could get wedges to fit and thought maybe he might have to cut preachers to and roll the axle until it was at the right angle........ but he could check it for 30 bucks..so maybe ill let him get that far.

Oh another shop said I needed an aluminum driveline because "in my situation" they can't balance the DS close enough and or set the pinion angle close enough to make it work so they just let it stay fu**ed up and reduce the rotatining mass so you cant feel it vibrate....

-Gun
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Masters of Industrial Technology intelligence thats why I own guns made to drop elephants.
Gun Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #22
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: Many

Gun,

This has got to be getting irritating. Call Denny's an ask them for an opinion. I've always had great support from them and have purchased 6 or 7 drive shaffts for some strange combinations without issue:

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/

They will be providing the driveshaft for my 66 fastback with TKO600.

RCR GT40 Mk1
FFR Daytona Coupe (sold, sniff)
1968 GT500KR (clone)
1966 GT350 (clone)
1967 Mustang convertible (unmolested so far)
Hey, my whole life is a fake!

Need some motivation to get that thing started? Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRskJ...e=channel_page
or this:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ndvideo013.flv
fakesnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #23
Gun Jam

Send a message via ICQ to Gun Jam Send a message via AIM to Gun Jam Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Jam

Thanks for the info..They are closed now but ill call them tomorrow and see what they think.

-Gun

Masters of Industrial Technology intelligence thats why I own guns made to drop elephants.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #24
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-24-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #25
Gun Jam

Im only about 50.00 dollars away from you..but I haven't quite exhausted all my options yet...I think I can talk the first shop into checking pinion angle even though "there is no way" its the problem... I do think they are quite capable of it...I'll try a different approach with them tomorrow

Then maybe ill come visit.

Thanks

-Gun

Old 01-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #26
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 67 and 08 Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Jam View Post
Oh another shop said I needed an aluminum driveline because "in my situation" they can't balance the DS close enough and or set the pinion angle close enough to make it work so they just let it stay fu**ed up and reduce the rotatining mass so you cant feel it vibrate....

-Gun
That's pretty funny. I have a longer drive shaft than you, it's steel, AND it's 3.5 in stock. No problems. "I can't fix it, but I can sell ya something "that might fix it.""
Old 01-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #27
kalli
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1964, Ford, Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakesnakes View Post
Gun,

This has got to be getting irritating. Call Denny's an ask them for an opinion. I've always had great support from them and have purchased 6 or 7 drive shaffts for some strange combinations without issue:

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/

They will be providing the driveshaft for my 66 fastback with TKO600.
can't wait to see if you get it fixed. as said very similar setup and problem. i didn't go for dennys as I planned to change leaf sprigns which is just done (knowing that that might again change my pinion angle). but if it's not healed now I'll probably do the same. get a ncie new alum balanced shaft exact to measure.

edit: i remember that you measured your angle in the opast and seemed correct. I actually had to cut/turn/weld my spring perches because they were in the wrong place to start with when I received axle. I'm quite convinced that our problem is the exact same.

Do you have a dust rubber cap on the back of your T5? and how far from that does your yoke stick out from that? i can measure as well to compare, but it'll be 3 days until i'm back at car
CSRP disc brakes front and FRPP discs back.
http://www.gascc.ie

Last edited by kalli; 01-07-2009 at 10:05 PM.
kalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #28
DennyD

Vehicle: 1966 Ford Mustang Coupe

Well, looks like you have alot of good info, but I thought I would through my 2 cents in. I 've read through the posts and I was just wondering if you have checked the run out of the axle pinion flange? I have seen the same thing happen where everything was balanced out and it still had the vibration. Did you try removing the d/s and rotate 180 deg. at the rear flange? Also as far as shims go you can find them at a good spring shop or check some Jeep parts sites, Jeepers are always screwing with drivline angles and such.

Good luck! Keep us posted so we can all learn.
DennyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #29
Gun Jam

Good call...Actually one axle was bent and had about .012 to .015 runout. Again a much different vibration it was heavy and made the windows rattle and you could feel it in your face ...literally. This vibration got progressively worse and did not increase when throttle was let off.

Both axles were replace with some "tom's kick *** axles"

that was before the t5 swap.

-Gun

Old 01-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #30
kalli
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1964, Ford, Mustang

just to add. my 3rdmember and axles are brand new. maybe we're getting there eventually. I did try to change 180 degrees. no difference. couldn't even tell if better or worse
CSRP disc brakes front and FRPP discs back.
http://www.gascc.ie

kalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:59 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
66, angle, balance, classic, diego, driveline, driveshaft, ford, lowered, mustang, pinion, san, swap, t5, vibration