Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

pinion angle or driveline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Gun Jam

Default Seriously WTF!!

Okay so Denny's drive line said that my bearing caps must be 1" all ford 8" rear ends are designed to take a 1" bearing cap...Is this correct...I dont trust any one source anymore.

My bearing caps are 1 1/8" or 1.125 does this mean I'm trying to fit a 1.125 cap into a receiver that's made for 1"...

Seriously WTF?

-Gun
Old 01-12-2009, 05:43 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

There's only three choices: 1 1/16, 1 1/8, 1 3/16. Measure using this diagram and then measure the cap diameter on your driveshaft. Shouldn't it be 1 1/16?

Old 01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

uhh lower picture looks way to short. i don't know how much the shaft inside (the output shaft) protrudes, but it cannot be much according to upper picture. i believe 3/4" is the magical number. according to the fella who rebuild my T5 it will cause vibration if the yoke s too far out which kinda makes sense. was it behaving any better before you cut the fella?
same here: I invested money in DS and shipping. then ordered the wrong u-joints twice from states because me or shop didn't have numbers right. then managed to get a few from UK to measure myself in the shop before I bought. i'd say the whole lot cost me the same as a new one of Dennys not including shipping :-(
Old 01-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Gun Jam

I though he said 1" maybe he said it had to be 1 1/16... The 1 1/8th seem to fit perfect but that hard to see. I'll call em again tomorrow and see whats up.

Kalli the upper picture was zero play. I probably would have shattered the tail housing backing out of the driveway like that so I never tried it out. Those splines on the output shaft are pretty long I would hate to think it has to be within a 1/4 inch. If this thing really needs 1/4" accuracy ya'll could have saved me a grip of money by mentioning that earlier...
Old 01-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Gun Jam

I talked to denny's DS again and the cap size is indeed 1 1/8 I must have misunderstood him. SO bearing caps checkout.
Ill see if can get the car to a shop today and see if they can find any issues.

ill let you guys know what happens.

-Gun
Old 01-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Gun Jam

Right on!

Bayshore really has their crap together! It was 36 bucks well spent.

Their angle finder was accurate to about 1/4 deg

DS angle is 0
Trans angle is -2.75
diff angle is -4.0
Difference is 1.25

Computer calculations using my DS lengths and diameter and pinion angle showed that Driveline torsional were out of limit starting at 4000 rpm (DS rpm)...

In reality the vibration is very noticeable at 4200 rpm

A 1 deg shim on rear end was recommended bringing rear end to -3 deg for a .25 deg difference.

Im gonna scare up a 1 deg shim and go from there.

-Gun
Old 01-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Gun Jam

But I can't get a 1 deg shim....So they tell me.

Anyone know what I could do?

Anyone know where I can get a 1 deg shim that's 2.5" wide

What other options do I have?

**EDIT** whoo Summit had some 1deg shims so I got those!

I'll let you know how that goes!

-Gun

Last edited by Gun Jam; 01-13-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-23-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Gun Jam

-Scott

4 Wheel Drive Parts Wholesale Is 10 minutes from my house...they could only get me 2.5 deg shims in 2.5" width.

Summit saved my bacon they had the 1 deg in 2.5" width so that's all taken care of.

So that leaves just one question...

How exactly do I install these shims so they force the end of the pinion up 1 deg so it now sits at -3 deg instead of -4 deg

and by negative (-) I mean the pinion yoke (where the drive shaft connects to) is pointed down towards the ground at 4 deg.

I hope that's totally clear.

-Gun
Old 01-13-2009, 09:23 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Great thread. Tell me more about the computer calculation on the "Driveline torsional"...

I just set the pinion angle at -3* and went with it when installing my new spring perches. Tell us more about how to determine the appropriate pinion angle for minimal driveline vibration.

If you are wanting to decrease your pinion angle to the ground (i.e. rise the pinion), which I think is what you are saying, I would think you would put the thicker end of the wedge shim in the front with an axle mounting above the leaf springs. It is opposite when you do a leaf spring over design like the jeep and bronco guys do for a cheap lift.

Quick Reply: pinion angle or driveline?