Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

351w in a 66 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:41 AM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

Don't forget to get the upper alternator bracket. Since the 351W is wider, you need the bracket to center it so you can use the 289 brackets. Everything I used was 289 based except for the headers and oil pan. The front cover and water pump was off the 289 too so everything matched up. Here's the bracket you need:
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...atkey=EMUSTANG
Let me know if you need anything else!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:49 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Randys66gt
Don't forget to get the upper alternator bracket. Since the 351W is wider, you need the bracket to center it so you can use the 289 brackets. Everything I used was 289 based except for the headers and oil pan.
Oddly enough, thats how Ford did it, they just used 289/302 brackets for the alternator and added adapters.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 06-25-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:51 PM
66 tang
1st Gear Member

the 302 is a 69 block, i ran the casting numbers and thats what it came out as, the previous owner told me it was out of a "fast back", but the numbers came back as either a torino or maverick, so that motor is kind of a mystery.

but does the altinator bracket that you guys showed me move the altinator
closer to the engine block?

and is there any reason that this harmonic balancer wont work on my setup?

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...atkey=EMUSTANG
Old 06-26-2009, 09:15 AM
eleanor_350

Originally Posted by 66 tang
ok, 302 is out and on the stand, what companies carry the "raised engine mounts" for the 351w swap? i looked through laurel mountain mustang, mustangs unlimited and summit and could not find anything. if anyone could shine some light on the subject that would be awsome
I think the "raised engine mounts" that you're looking for are the '66 style V8 engine mounts, which you should already have if your car is a factory '66 V8 car. The V8 engine mounts for '65 Mustangs were a different design and made the engine sit a little lower. I've heard arguments both ways for the 351w swap into the early cars. Some say use '66 mounts to raise the engine up and gain clearance at the shock towers. Some say use the '65 style mounts to lower the engine to gain more hood clearance. The '65 style mount has a reputation for breaking in performance applications, but there is simple modification that I think is outlined on Mustang Plus's website to fix that problem if you decided to go that route.

I have a 351w in my '65 and I'm using the '66 style mount to make the engine sit higher. I have the headman shorty swap headers. I personally don't know how people use the '65 style mount in this application without the headers rubbing the shock towers. I wish I could drop mine a little and gain some hood clearance, but I don't think I can without my headers rubbing the shock towers. I have an Edelbrock Performer intake (which has a pretty low profile), a Holley street avenger carb with 1/4" spacer to insulate it from the intake, and a Hi-po style breather with 2" element. With that setup hood clearance is tight. I'd like to change to a performer RPM or a stealth intake, but I don't think their higher profile would fit under my stock hood.

There are some aftermarket motor mounts available, but I can't comment on them as I don't have any experience with them. Ron Morris makes a set and so does Total Control Products.

I hope this sheds some light on the motor mount issue.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

The bracket allows you to use that long bolt to allow the alternator to swing. It positions it in the old location where the 289 had it. It was something I forgot to get till I was ready to put the alt. in and fire up so I don't want you to get hung up.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:47 AM
66 tang
1st Gear Member

thanks for the heads up, i finally got my motor in my possession today and it looks real good, no pitting on the heads from previous gaskets makes me happy. now off to summit to order my rpm air gap intake, yes i know, im going to have to chop my hood, i kind of planned on it, once i get some more money i'll buy a boss 429 hood scoop, then later on maybe a cowl hood.

And randy, did you reuse your 3 bolt crank pully or buy a 4 bolt?

IS there any reason that the harmonic balancer in the link below wont work?

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/down.asp

Last edited by 66 tang; 07-01-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

You can use your 3 bolt, I ended up using a SFI balancer for safety. It came with the 3 and 4 bolt holes. I ended up using the 3 bolts because the pulleys were off the 289. Glad you got it! I want to see it with the scoop on. I have a cowl and really have been thinking about going with the 429 scoop too but I don't know. I've been talking to Mike at O2 Force and we have been thinking of trying a twin supercharger setup on it but I'd have to use the Edelbrock injection first. We'll see.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:25 PM
66 tang
1st Gear Member

that sounds pretty cool, if i were to go supercharger i would go with the original cobra paxton supercharger, they are reasonably priced at mustangs unlimited, OH! speakin of which i saw an 01 mustang gt near my work today that had the front bumper removed and it had twin turbos and an intercooler where the bumper should be, that thing was mean, you couldnt hear the exhaust over the turbo whine, i could hear it comin a block away. when he drove by my work he shifted into second and layed down 40 feet of rubber like it was nothing, and then a customer showed up in a 66 coupe that had the E2 body kit (black eleanor) well that was my mustang encounter of the day. but my buddy his dad and i are going to try to have the motor in within two weeks, so im pretty dang excited, its almost been a friggin year! but i'll try to post up pics once its done
Old 07-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

Wow, exciting stuff up there. Yeh, I've worked in the speed industry since 74 and honestly, once you have a blown vehicle, you'll never go back. Paxton is a good kit but since Vortech bought them, they push their stuff more now.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:53 PM
66 tang
1st Gear Member

welllll its been a while so i thought i would update the thread, we got the motor in and running like a champion, well we went to take it out on its maiden voyage last night and the transmission would not shift into gear, reverse, drive, 2, 1 nothin, so needless to say i was pretty bummed out. i changed the pan gasket and filter awhile back and put a B&M starshifter in it, i hope its an easy fix, cause by the time i get another transmission the snow will be flying.

Anyone have any ideas why the trans would just stop shifting? it shifted fine last season, its a 70 through 73 c4 auto.

Quick Reply: 351w in a 66 coupe