Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 07:13 PM
66STANG FBACK

Default HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I PUT THIS SAME POST IN THE NEW SECTION. I NEED OPINIONS AND QUICK. I'M LOOKING TO PICK UP A 66 2+2. THE BODY IS IN GREAT SHAPE, ALL IT BASICLY NEEDS TO FINISH IT IS PAINT, INTERIOR AND DRIVETRAIN, OTHER LITTLE ODDS AND ENDS BUT THATS ALL MINOR STUFF. THE FLOOR ,QUARTERS, FENDERS, HOOD, DOORS, ALL HINGES, DOOR PANELS AND DASH ARE ALL N.I.B.(NEW IN BOX). ORIGINAL WINDOWS. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? HOW MUCH SHOULD I BE BUYING IT FOR?
Old 06-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

push your caps lock button and welcome to the forums....
Can you provide us with some pics and location those two things will help more then anything you can prolly type
Old 06-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

First of all, there's no need to yell! [:@]

So, what you're saying is you found a Mustang that needs all new panels (because new ones are in boxes as part of the deal); needs paint; needs interior; and needs an entire drive train; needs other odds and ends - but it's in "great shape?" What do the frame rails look like? Does the cowl leak? Does it need all new body panels due to rust or wreck? Either should be a big red flag. Sounds like the only thing that can be saved is the roof.

Sounds to me like a large-scale model (some assembly required). Unless you're a very skilled craftsman, or just glutton for punishment - I think I'd keep looking. It's very difficult to put a price on such a thing based on your sketchy description. If it truly needs all this stuff, it must be basically a shell, right? I'd say $2000.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:06 PM
66STANG FBACK

sorry about typing in caps, i'm just used to typing that way in work!!!! I'll get pics and i live in the philly burbs. it needs new panels due to rust. the frame rails are fine except for the front. the guys has them too. i can weld, so they aren't going to be a problem. i don't know if the cowl leaks. as far as the body goes he has all replacement panels.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:46 AM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

If all those panels need replacing due to rust - you can bet your last dollar the cowl is rusted through as well. If the floors are gone, then don't be fooled by "okay-looking" frame rails. You say that even the fronts of them are gone! The framerails tend to rust from the inside out. (The cowl rusts through, leaks water onto the floors and they rust through, then the water finally leaks into the framerails.) You may seriously want to pass on this thing, man. Fastbacks aren't exactly a dime-a-dozen, but there are certainly better ones out there. It's going to be really easy to get upside down in a car like this.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:56 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I wouldn't waste another minute either thinking about it or looking at it. I would not only walk away, I would run.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:21 AM
66STANG FBACK

i looked at the frame rails and they are fine, except for the front section of the vehicle. the floor boards are brand new. the guy replaced them already. ill take another look at the vehicle, are there certain spots or sections of the vehicle that i should pay closer attention to?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:19 AM
1970 mach1
2nd Gear Member

Listen to what these guys are telling you ! You are stating that you can weld but you can't weld to something that does't have metal to weld too. We have all seen someone or ourselves, too many times that bought into someone elses nightmare. These cars are known for rotten floors if the floor has been replaced the torque boxes are bad also. You can be the best welder in the world but you can't weld to thin air. If you can't help yourself from looking at this car again, take a sharp steel punch and a big magnet with you and go over all the steel you say that looks good. Pick at the steel I'm pretty sure that pick will go into the metal that you think looks good. Use the magnet to see if there is enough metal to weld to. You need to read and research a few of the nightmare stories that are True, before you waste your hard earned money and time on a rust bucket. There is one story that comes to mind Soaring and thats the car that was a beauty till the new owner had a pro look at car and found it not to be drivable because it was so unsafe.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 66STANG FBACK

i looked at the frame rails and they are fine, except for the front section of the vehicle. the floor boards are brand new. the guy replaced them already. ill take another look at the vehicle, are there certain spots or sections of the vehicle that i should pay closer attention to?
Certain spot you should pay closer attention to? [:@] You're kidding, right? You've described a car that is basically a rusted-out shell. Everything has to be replaced on it because of cancer. I ask you in all seriousness: what's left of it to look closer at? (You didn't say earlier that any new metal had already been put in. I took "new in box" to mean just that.)

Look, if there is ANY rust ANYWHERE on the framerails, you're running the risk of having the whole car snap in-two! I'll repeat what I wrote earlier: the framerails rust from the inside out. They can look fine, but be paper thin.

Why are you so infatuated with this particular car? If it belonged to your dearly departed grandmother or maybe Elvis slept in it or something - that might be different. But if you just think you've found some super-valuable collector's item - you haven't! Unless you've grossly misrepresented the health of this car, keep looking.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Ditto and Ditto. You have any nice running shoes? Two guys were out in the jungle and ran into a tiger on their path. One guy immediately sat down and put on his running sneakers. The other guy said, "why are you doing that, you can't outrun a tiger." The other guy said, "I don't have to, I just need to out run you."