Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Looking to start a T5 conversion

Old 02-04-2009, 07:04 PM
JamesW

If you don't want to change to a cable or hydraulic pull type clutch mechanism, then your only choice is to use the early model bell and clutch, and buy the T5 adapter plate.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:21 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Yeah I haven't quite figured out the mounting for the bolt myself. I believe you use the T5 bolts. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I am just going on what I heard and assumption.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:50 PM
lefty3382
1st Gear Member

Like mortman, I have been following this thread closely and reading everything else I can since I am planning to do this swap soon also. I was given a WC T5 by a mechanic friend of mine. I have the same car as remicks, a 67 C code coupe with the original 3 spd manual still installed. Unlike remicks however, I only have the transmission and for simplicity's sake as well as cost I'm sticking with the stock old style bellhousing. Here is the list I've compiled of what I'll need so far:

Adapter plate for stock bellhousing, Rose Hill performance parts $125 + 10
T5 crossmember, Modern Driveline $150
Pro 5.0 shifter or similar - ebay
Replace rear oil seal and tailshaft bushing
Shorten driveshaft 1" - Drive Line Service (I'm going to be in the Bay Area)

These are the things I'm still uncertain about:
1. Since I'm keeping the stock bellhousing, is it required that I replace anything like the clutch, fork, TO bearing, etc? The clutch was replaced only a few thousand miles ago and is in great shape and would like to keep it if possible.
2. I've read that as an alternative to shortening the driveshaft, a shortened T5 yoke can be purchased to offset the adapter plate, anyone have experience with this? Preference?
3. Is a new transmission mount needed, or will the stock one work?
4. Mustangsplus sells a T5 conversion kit with an adapter plate, trans mount, crossmember and slip yoke. Assuming the slip yoke is a stock T5 unit, shouldn't I be able to perform the swap simply with this kit and shortening the driveshaft?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2009, 05:15 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

Links I used when doing my T5 conversion. They will answer most of your questions and explain the different options you must decide on:
http://www.moderndriveline.com/FAQ.htm#_Toc29404676
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...swap/index.php
http://www.moderndriveline.com/catal...conversion.htm
http://www.themustangshop.com/t5swap.cfm
http://www.sunflower.com/~vervaecke/clutch.htm
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...uild/index.php
http://www.sccoa.com/faq/speedgr.html

All the T5 trannys look the same. They have a tag on them and the number can be referenced to this chart for its rating. You will want to look for one with a high torque rating (300 or better) .
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...p/index2.shtml
The World Class is the correct one. It also uses automatic transmission fluid. A good check is to also open the drain plug and make sure it had ATF in it. If it is 80 weight gear lube, they are trying to sell you a NON World class T5. WALK AWAY QUICKLY

Your auto drive shaft yoke WILL fit the T5. The drive shaft will probably need to be shortened some to have ONE INCH OF FREE PLAY. Too little and you can wreck your tranny or break the U joint and too much will cause vibration. Shorten/balance and rebuild cost $150. CHECK IT BEFORE YOU CUT IT.

A T5 yoke has the same spline count but the part that slides into the transmission is shorter. It does nothing for the 1 inch freeplay your driveshaft needs.

Consider using a T5 bellhousing and the flywheel WITH THE CORRECT IMBALANCE so you can use a 10 1/2 inch clutch. you will also need a late model TO bearing, clutch fork, late model starter and block plate

You can use the old bellhousing but you will need to modify it. You will need a 2"x1"x1" aluminum or steel block and also the fulcrum (the piece the clutch fork pivots on) out of your early bellhousing. Mustang suppliers sell it for about 40. You can then use your old clutch

The T5 mounting bracket is needed because the the mount is about 1 inch back and the old mount wont line up. I read of 1 person modifying the old one to get it to work but he spent a lot of time doing it.

Last edited by chris66dad; 02-14-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:44 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

Default Found pictures

Here are 2 pictures of the original auto slip yoke (on driveshaft) and the T5 slip yoke. Same spline count but different in length and the shoulder width.
Attached Thumbnails Looking to start a T5 conversion-driveshaftyoke2.jpg   Looking to start a T5 conversion-driveshaftyoke.jpg  
Old 02-14-2009, 09:43 PM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

i picked up my T5 this week, got the tranny, bell, all electrical, shifter and drive shaft. will the drive shaft (from a 89 5.0) work in my stock 68 coupe with out mod's?
Old 02-16-2009, 12:00 PM
lefty3382
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chris66dad

Your auto drive shaft yoke WILL fit the T5.

You can use the old bellhousing but you will need to modify it. You will need a 2"x1"x1" aluminum or steel block and also the fulcrum (the piece the clutch fork pivots on) out of your early bellhousing. Mustang suppliers sell it for about 40. You can then use your old clutch
By auto do you mean the yoke from an auto transmission? I have a 3 spd manual. Will that yoke work? Is it 28 spline?

Do you mean I'll need to remove the stock fulcrum thats in there now for another one? Whats the metal block for?

Thanks for the help, I'm getting close to diving into this project.

Last edited by lefty3382; 02-16-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:29 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lefty3382
By auto do you mean the yoke from an auto transmission? I have a 3 spd manual. Will that yoke work? Is it 28 spline?

Do you mean I'll need to remove the stock fulcrum thats in there now for another one? Whats the metal block for?

Thanks for the help, I'm getting close to diving into this project.
Both T-5 and TREMEC 3550/II use a 28 spline yoke which is the same as a C4 and toploader. T-10 transmissions used 25 spline slip yoke. TREMEC TKO come with a 31 spline slip yokes.

Here is the block I was referring to:
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...atkey=emustang

Are you using the old bellhousing, clutch fork and 3 finger clutch?
It depends on how you mix and match parts for what you need.
I went with a T5 bellhousing, 10 1/2 inch diaphragm clutch and fork, late model flywheel with 28 oz imbalance and used a hydraulic clutch with an external slave cylinder.
I would hate to give you the wrong info by assuming what you are going to use. I also would check with Mustangs Unlimited for what you want to do. They were pretty good in answering my questions.

Last edited by chris66dad; 02-16-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:09 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Update

I have hopefully ordered all the parts that I need for this swap and now I'm just waiting for them to come in. I already recieved the new flywheel. Now I'm just waiting for the pilot bearing, cable clutch conversion and trans crossmember to come in. Also waiting on my friend to mail me my 3.80 gears I left at his house. I'll be reusing the clutch that came with the trans because it is basically new, no point in spending a couple hundred bucks I don't need too, maybe put it toward a limited slip.

I think I just need to run down to autozone and get the adapter U-joint because I already have the T5 yoke lying around.

Hope I'm not missing anything, or at least major. When it arrives I'll finally get my friend to also weld in my new passenger side floor pan.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:36 PM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Default t5 Answers

Originally Posted by mortman
been following this tread closely as i just got a line on a T5 my self, what about the bell housing? what mods need to be done? better to use the old bell or use the bell from the T5? If i have it right the T5 bell needs to be drilled and taped to mount to the 289 or the 289 bell needs an adapter plate. whats the best way to go? (BTW i dont want to go the cable linkage way at this moment)
Thanks
We sell t5 kits for these things. If I can be of any help on tech I would be happy to pitch in.