Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Tail light bulb and wiring questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 04:45 AM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

Default Tail light bulb and wiring questions.

I am looking for a complete tail light wiring assembly for my '66 Coupe. Mustangs Plus has one, but I want to buy it from National Parts Depot; however I can't seem to find it anywhere in their online catalog? Has anyone else seen it with them or do they simply not sell it? I am looking for this:
http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/pr...at=2627&page=1
I have had constant issue with my tail lights, so I want to rewire the whole bit. I am just going to buy an equivalent wiring kit unless someone has a reason for me not to?

Also, if I simply replace my rear bulbs with one of NPD's LED bulbs (part number U-L1157HA) will stock wiring work, or would it require more power? Again, any reason not to upgrade to these bulbs?

I just found this kit: http://mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=TAH1+01#
Any reason not to go with this MU setup? Much cheaper . .

Last edited by 350kmileFord; 01-24-2009 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:02 AM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

While you are at it you should go with LED lights. I went with Sequential from Va. Classic Mustang. They are much brighter and there by safer. They are available Sequential or solid and they run about $120. The ones from Va Classic are plug in, some I saw required splicing and a whole lot of work to install.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:03 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

I had "issues" with all my lights when I first purchased my car.

I purchased a replacement tail light harness (from John's Mustang I think..) and put it in. Then I purchased new tail light bodies because one of mine was looking really rough with years of corrosion. Also purchased new reverse light bodies while I was at it.

I also purchased the sequential LED tail lights from Mustang Project.

The LED's are well worth the money and easy to install. My old stock ones were so dim you couldn't really even see them in the day light and I was worried about someone running into me.

Basically, you remove the old bulbs and the LED panel they send installs exactly like the old school bulbs do so zero mod's needed to put them in.

I liked them so much that I am waiting for LED's for my gauge cluster to arrive. My gauge lighting is so bad and dim that you pretty much can't read the gauges at night.

I would imagine that NPD sells the tail light harnesses but I haven't looked at their catalog. To be honest, I don't order from NPD much because I hate their on-line catalog so the few times I have ordered from them I just looked stuff up in the paper catalog then called to order.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:10 AM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

NPD has a phone, the number is even toll-free, tell'm what you need.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:29 AM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 350kmileFord
I am looking for a complete tail light wiring assembly for my '66 Coupe. Mustangs Plus has one, but I want to buy it from National Parts Depot; however I can't seem to find it anywhere in their online catalog? Has anyone else seen it with them or do they simply not sell it?
Top left of page 153 in the NPD catalog. Your part number should be: 14405-1E
Old 01-24-2009, 07:31 PM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys. I will consider going with the solid LED set, the sequential is too flashy/fancy for my taste.

And thanks for that parts number, I swear I looked at that page 5 different times but apparently not.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:53 PM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

NPD also carries a set of LED front parking lamps. They come in clear or amber lens styles. I love NPD. They usually have what I'm looking for 99% of the time. I've spent a small fortune there already.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:06 PM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

I wish I had read that/thought about that before I placed my order haha . ..
Old 01-26-2009, 11:02 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

While we are talking LED lights, what is the consensus on LED vs. Halogen or regular bulbs? I have always heard that LED bulbs are less bright (lumens) than regular bulbs and that the reason the LED tail lights are brighter is due to the number of LEDs. So, is anyone replacing bulbs with LEDs for marker lamps, backup lights, turn signals, etc? Are they brighter than the old bulbs? Also, has anyone tried the Halogen taillight bulbs? I have heard they get very hot, but have not tried them. This is on my list of things to address in the rainy springs...if it will ever rain.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:30 AM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

The lumens rating of an LED depends on the size and type of the LED. The more there are of them, the more light they give off. However, the same holds true for halogen bulbs. Typically though, LEDs are as bright or brighter than standard bulbs.

http://mustangproject.com/ProductDis...f-d2878aaac176

One very good reason to switch to LEDs is that they last far longer than standard bulbs. As for heat, they barely get warm to the touch. I've held onto a lit marker lamp LED for 5 minutes, and my fingers were warmer than the bulb. Try that with a standard bulb. You'd be lucky to hold on to it for 5 seconds.

Quick Reply: Tail light bulb and wiring questions.