Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

RetroFit 1968 Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Spencer

Default RetroFit 1968 Mustang?

I was driving down the road and noticed a white mustang with a for sale sign on it. I stopped in and took a good look at it, it was a 1968 white mustang coupe. 52,000 original miles with some rust, automatic, with a near flawless interior. The sign said $6,800. Im a relativly new driver almost a year, and my mom is sick of me taking her Audi(S4). She said the only problem she had with the car was the lack of safety. With Lapbelts and no airbags, she didnt think it was safe enough. Now the belts can be replaced, but I wouldnt because I dont see the point if airbags are installed. The concern I have is the non-existance of airbags. So can you Retrofit airbags, into a 1968 Mustang? Driver and passenger airbags I know it would require replaceing the Steering section. But can you get a kit or something along the lines? Thanks. [&:]
Old 06-07-2005, 11:00 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Default RE: RetroFit 1968 Mustang?

Well, Put in a roll Bar, and some 3 point seat belts. I never heard of airbags for these cars. They are not safe at all, but why let your mother know that? Thats about the only thing you can do to make these old dinosuars safe is the roll bar and seat belts.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:54 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Anything is possible. With some ingenuity, you could probably rob a 90's model mustang steering column that has the air bags, but that would be a PITA to install. If your mother wants you to have a modern car, then get one like my 03 Mach1.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:02 AM
68FastbackGT
2nd Gear Member

It is true that these cares will never be as safe as modern cars, but I would not get to fixated on the air bags. I have never seen an airbag in a NASCAR (especially on the passenger side) and they seem fairly safe at crashing at high speeds. I know, I know: hand build cars, professional drivers and running in a controlled environment with medevac helicopter at the ready. Besides, I have never liked the idea of having a loaded explosive charge aimed at my face. As for crumple zones, you can use the ones on the cars that you hit.

The rout I would go is drop the idea for a mustang for a couple of months. Start looking at, talking about and begging for a motorcycle; preferably a crotch rocket. A crash and burn video left strategically in the VCR would help. Once this scares your mother enough, she will leap at the relative safety of the 68 mustang. If you are really good, you could also point out that the 68s are safer that some of the earlier mustangs because they are larger, have better brakes and have a collapsable steering column.[sm=yeahsmile.gif]

As for my kids, I am not going to let them get driver licenses or date.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:45 PM
66FordStang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 68FastbackGT

The rout I would go is drop the idea for a mustang for a couple of months. Start looking at, talking about and begging for a motorcycle; preferably a crotch rocket. A crash and burn video left strategically in the VCR would help. Once this scares your mother enough, she will leap at the relative safety of the 68 mustang. If you are really good, you could also point out that the 68s are safer that some of the earlier mustangs because they are larger, have better brakes and have a collapsable steering column.

....Great Idea. I love the way you think.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, air bags are not all they are cracked up to be. A collapsible steering column would be more important to me than an air bag explosion in my face. In a head-on collision, it really doesn't matter much what protection you have. At any highway speeds, you are going to die with a head-on collision or a T-bone. If you somehow survive the collision, you will definitely be hospitalized for the long term and go through months of rehabilitation.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

At any highway speeds, you are going to die with a head-on collision or a T-bone. If you somehow survive the collision, you will definitely be hospitalized for the long term and go through months of rehabilitation.
Well, be a wet blanket why doncha!
Old 06-09-2005, 10:50 AM
68FastbackGT
2nd Gear Member

All kidding aside, the safety technology in cars has come a long long way since my baby rolled of the assembly line. People walk away from accidents in modern cars that would have killed them in a car form previous decades. In a major head on crash, the sudden deceleration reduction afforded by the crumple zone is a God sent. You basically go from 60 to zero in feet instead of inches. That is a big change in Gs. Airbags, albeit an injury inflictor in low speed accidents and sometimes a child killer, are a life saver in high speed accidents. Breaks have also come a long way, although I get miffed when the ABS breaks in the back of my duly have the audacity to cease control from me on a gravel road. Just the simple addition of a headrest to some of these mustangs can save you a lifetime of neck agony.
That being said and trying to get of my soapbox, I will be the first to admit that safety is not the only concern. If it was, I would never get on my modified DRZ 400 and chase swirls and dear through the woods (My apologies to you PETA people)
Old 06-12-2005, 10:33 AM
H Dean
1st Gear Member

Great advice from those before.

I just bought a 1969 convertible and have kids at 6/4/21 month old. NONE of this kids get this car when 16---thing handles like hot knife on butter and have way too much motor for the new driver.

if you are serious about the car do the seat belt retrofit. I'm a lawyer and see too much in the way of wrecks that dont work out well for those not wearing seat belts!!!

Next thing you should do is put in a fire wall in the rear!!! they are cheap and even if belted properly the fire danger from rear impact is real and serious. check out the rear gas tank and the 'wall' between the passenger compartment. i think it is made of cardboard--not exactly a reassuring thing if rearended and a fracture of the gas tank follows!!!!!

I have not made that change for my car but it is on the short list of things to do!!!!

I was a kid too and am lucky I lived through the process. I know i'm going to sound like your mother, but if YOU drive safe and have good saftey equipment the 1968 car should serve you well---assuming you and your monther pray daily for saftey.

I vote YES for the 1968---another side effect will be great admiration from your peers [girls] and from old farts like me [36 yrs old!!].

good luck

Old 06-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

There is no question that the three point safety belt is the best protection you can have in these cars. If you don't have it in your vintage Mustang, then geterdun. http://www.karmustang.com/3point_shoulder_belts.php If you are concerned about a rearend collision, that is an overrated concern. But, if it really concerns you, you can not only put in the metal wall on the back of the rear seat, you can also install a fuel cell.
http://www.mustangsplus.com/Merchant...egory_Code=ful