Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1967 mustang with 4.6l cobra engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:49 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The fatman fab bolt on clip i don't trust the design of it.If money is not a problem look up griggs racing they make nice suspension kits front and back they weld in tho.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:36 PM
rgautomotive

An ideal situation would be to build yourself a front suspension that incorporates rack & pinion steering (I am a fan of the Randalls manual rack), TCP HD Spindles, double wishbone control arms, coil over shock (preferably adapted from a production setup). Most importantly what most coil over and other front suspension kits use is heim joints which are fine for a race car but kind of harsh for a street car, and a strut type lower control arm instead of a wishbone.

If you put alot of thought and planning into the design of the front suspension, you could build yourself one far superior to the fat man setup (looks to be geared towards cruisers not performers). You could probably run a full front suspension, steering, and brakes for 5k max doing that.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:10 AM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

I don't think the fatman setup is simply bolted on. I'm pretty sure there would be some welding involved but I don't care much for it either. Its a Mac strut suspension which was originally designed because it was cheap with less parts and it got the job done. I'd rather have a double wishbone suspension. If you want the mac strut you could just use the front suspension from a modern mustang for way less than the $6k for the fatman.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:23 AM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

I just found a company that makes double wishbone suspensions for the 94-04 mustangs. I'm sure the Mac strut setup would be fine for most cars but if I were going to drop that kind of cash it would be for something else.
http://www.agentfortyseven.com/SN95/suspension01.html
Old 02-07-2009, 01:56 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Your right on the strut design it sucks most road type racing uses the old double a arms its time tested and can't really be beat.Fatman fab makes nice parts but i won't use anything from them unless its for a street rod.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:32 AM
rgautomotive

The agent 47 setup is a more track oriented setup. If you are looking for any kind of a driver, it might be a little on the harsh side.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:53 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

I wasn't suggesting to use the A47 just pointing out that the mac strut suspension is a less favorable design so if you're going to spend that kind of money why get something that doesn't the best performance.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:16 PM
grod297
1st Gear Member

This is a lot to consider. I will not be taking the car to the track but I do want it to handle well. I suppose anything is better than the stock suspesion it has now. But since I intend to put this mod motor in , is the belief that the fat man front is not good at all?
Money is always important , I do not want to waste any of it. Thats why I appreciate all of the comments

G
Old 02-07-2009, 04:24 PM
rgautomotive

If your going with a strut suspension in the front, RRS > Fatman. If you want something lower cost that can make close to 1g on the skidpad, I would say get the Control Freak or Global West versions of the stock suspension.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:41 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

I agree with rg, if I was going to spend the money I would rather have one of the modified stock suspensions with coil overs and notch the shock towers. I don't care much for the MII or the strut setup.

Quick Reply: 1967 mustang with 4.6l cobra engine