Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

starter solenoid sparking

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:49 PM
andrew340
1st Gear Member

well it's not sparking at all during regular operation, i thought i read in your doc using a jumper cable to connect one of the cables to - side of battery, then the other end of jumper cable to left side of solenoid
Old 02-09-2009, 07:58 PM
andrew340
1st Gear Member

is this the way my solenoid should be hooked up, i've seen a pic of another one where the battery side is by itself and the starter wire side has two other wires. which one is right?
Attached Thumbnails starter solenoid sparking-solenoid-2.jpg  
Old 02-10-2009, 12:17 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Thats what mine looks like.

Was it sparking only when you were cranking on it trying to start it.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:02 AM
andrew340
1st Gear Member

yeah but there's no actual cranking. the car died on me a couple days ago, it was cranking then, just wouldn't stay running. Now it won't crank, but does have power for lights etc. It's not sparking now, the relay is clicking, but now the starter isn't cranking it
Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

get one cable of the jumplead set and connect it from from one of the big posts of the selonoid to the other big post of the selonoid with ignition switched on and out of gear (in park).
does it crank and start then? if not first thing to try is different (good known) battery
if it does disconnect the jumplead , then disconnect the middle left post 'S' cable and connect the jumplead from the battery post of selonoid (left) to the 'S' port.
If that works as well then i would check on the neutral safety switch first. maybe try as well with gear lever in neutral, give it a little wiggle in neutral or park.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:15 AM
vescotech
1st Gear Member

Does it click one time as you turn it to start or does it click rapidly if you hold the key in the start position? If it clicks rapidly it could be a weak battery or even a starter that has a dead short but if the starter had a short the cables would get hot. If it only clicks once when youhold the key in the start position you could have a defective solenoid or your starter could have an open in it. If you got the starter hot from all that cranking when it wouldn't start you may have damaged it. The neutra lswitch shouldn't be the problem if the solenoid is closing with the ignition switch.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:46 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vescotech
The neutra lswitch shouldn't be the problem if the solenoid is closing with the ignition switch.
very true
Old 02-10-2009, 01:07 PM
MIL1ION
2nd Gear Member

Kalli, There isn't a Starter Negative cable.

The starter ground's through the case and the bell-housing.

That black cable to the starter is for POWER from the starter and should NOT be attached to GROUND.

It sounds like you are putting cables that are for power....directly to ground causing sparks .

Attach the Cable from the + post of the battery to the Battery LUG on the solenoid

Attach the 2 power wires to the Battery Lug

Attach the Black Cable from the starter to the Lug on the starter then to the Starter LUG on the solenoid.
Attach the 2 connections to the 2 terminals on the S & I terminals

Attach the black Cable to the Negative Post on the battery.

Now try to start the engine

Tell me what happens when you do that.

Is this battery fully charged ?
Old 02-10-2009, 02:07 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

where did i ever say "starter negative cable?" ???
you are fully correct with saying the starter is getting ground from bellhousing and the selonoid from chassis. otherwise there is no ground cables involved (apart from the one grounding engine through chassis).
Old 02-10-2009, 02:51 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

this is the exact problem im having now. i printed out three different articals and forum posts (about 17 pages) that i have to read through and trouble shoot my problem.

im thinking mine has to do with the S or I plug. i rewired the whole car. and before i did that, everything worked and started right up. (my taillight and turn signals didnt work, and now they do! but i cant get the car to crank) go figure i solve one problem to only have a new one. lol.

my starter relay clicks only one time when i start the car. i cant imagine it went bad when i know it worked fine before i took out all the old wiring. also what i do know is the starter wire gets full volt power when i turn the key. i checked it with a multimeter. if the Nuetral safty switch is not connected properly will that prevent the car from starting? is there a way to bypass that wire for the time being to just test if the car will start. then i know for sure its the NSS connection.

Quick Reply: starter solenoid sparking