Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Emergency flasher

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:03 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Default Emergency flasher

I am trying to figure out where the emergy flasher switch goes?

Since I bought my car mine has been shoved up under the dash somewhere between the radio and the glove box.

Wasn't sure where exactly it is supposed to be though? Mounted on the bottom edge of the dash maybe?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:39 AM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

Mine hangs between the radio and glove box also. It was not "attached" to the dash in any way when I got it. I think it is supposed to just hang there.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:50 AM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

I have owned 2 1966 coupes and they both had the emergency flasher in the glove box located in the upper left hand corner with a bracket. It is like a toggle switch.
This is what it looks like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-1...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-12-2009, 08:05 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

I am trying to find a new switch...I have one but it is pretty old and does not appear to work.

Hadn't thought of it going in the glove box and the most that I know is that it is not supposed to be where it is currently located...
Old 02-12-2009, 10:17 AM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

I misread your post, I thought you meant the flasher "relay" that is behind the dash. My switch is mounted in the glove box also.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Does someone have a pic or can get a pic of it in the glove box. I am putting my dash back together this weekend and didn't even think about that switch.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:54 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Hoping you have fun Nick....I took everything off of my dash over the long Christmas weekend and the taking off was not bad = maybe a couple of hours.

However, the putting back together took about 6 hours due to having to be very careful not to scratch anything, etc, etc....

Really...it wasn't too bad but I did have to slow down on a few parts and think about how the various parts went back together. For example, I had never taken the heater controls out before and didn't pay close enough attention when taking them out...had to sit and scratch my head for a while to get that put back correctly.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:59 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Found this picture on the net sort of randomly with a google search. Appears to mount at the top which makes sense in looking at my existing switch.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Hmm interesting switch.

Luckily I'm removing the heater assembly and not putting it back in. I will be adding a a/c heater assembly later.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:20 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Here in Houston...adding the A/C would be a good plan.

I don't have one currently. It isn't bad if you drive it to work where you can park it in the garage then go straight to where ever with the windows down. But it can get really miserable if you leave it sitting on a surface lot for a while then have to drive in traffic stopping at lights and so forth.

Might add one to mine some day but I am more concerned with first getting a motor build then saving up for paint and things of that nature.

Quick Reply: Emergency flasher