Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Wheels and Tires 66 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 06:49 PM
tommyboy12474

Default Wheels and Tires 66 Fastback

What is the largest wheel and tire combo that I can fit under my car without having to modify the body?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:05 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

245 30 20 on a 20x8 with 4.75 backspacing for the rear and 225 30 20 on a 20x8 with 4.75 bs on the front.

Prob not the answer you are looking for though

This might help: http://www.dodgestang.com/cgi-bin/pr...ts%201965-1973
Old 02-15-2009, 02:57 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Why are so many people concerned with the biggest wheels they can fit?
Old 02-15-2009, 04:52 AM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

I don't see much reason not too. Granted, bigger equates to more weight/drag; but a wider tire equates to more control in every aspect, no? If you're just talking about going taller then no, there isn't much benefit. Maybe the tires last longer because they don't make as many revolutions?
Old 02-15-2009, 07:54 AM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 350kmileFord
I don't see much reason not too. Granted, bigger equates to more weight/drag; but a wider tire equates to more control in every aspect, no? If you're just talking about going taller then no, there isn't much benefit. Maybe the tires last longer because they don't make as many revolutions?
I think that the total measurement for a Mustang wheel (diameter) is around 25 inches. So, you can do a 20 like dodgestang said and not turn less revolutions because the wheel is the same overall size. BUT, you will only have about 2.5 inches of sidewall.

At some point when you go bigger, you have to begin losing performance at that low profile of a tire. Its almost like going back to an 1850s style wagon wheel with no give in the tire. (because they had no tire. ).

It's just vanity after 17 or so, IMO. You'll never catch me spending the amount of time and money it takes to get 20's working right on a classic (13" brakes, suspension, fenders, tires, wheels) when I could be using that $$$$ to make the car faster.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:29 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
Why are so many people concerned with the biggest wheels they can fit?
It is tax refund season. The biggest appearance bang for the buck is usually new rims/tires. The concept of measuring (and how to do it properly) can be foreign to some so the questions get asked in forums cyclically. That's one of the reasons I built the wheel charts. The other reason is to offer some definitive evidence (as much as you it can be called that) by compiling the combos people run on their cars and the fit and finish of them given a large number of variables that can affect it.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lunarweasel
It's just vanity after 17 or so, IMO. You'll never catch me spending the amount of time and money it takes to get 20's working right on a classic (13" brakes, suspension, fenders, tires, wheels) when I could be using that $$$$ to make the car faster.
There is a difference in performance in a fat sidewall 14" and low profile 17 or 18".The deflection in sidewall in a 14" lets the tire "roll" under hard turns.There is no point to making a car faster if it cant stop or handle.Its different strokes for different folks.The price difference from 17's to 20's is not that much anymore and there is no reason to modify fenders someone chose to get 20's.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:48 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I understand that wheels and tires almost always make a car look better and are an easy mod. I just don't get why so many people want to run the huge rims, especially on classics. It just looks stupid most of the time.

Within reason wider tires do increase handling unless they are really wide in the front which will cause road wandering.

Also, This is for those that do not yet know it. If your car does not have power steering you may want to reconsider how wide you go in the front.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:32 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
I understand that wheels and tires almost always make a car look better and are an easy mod. I just don't get why so many people want to run the huge rims, especially on classics.
To be fair....the original poster never said what size they really wanted. So I poked a little fun mentioning 20s (Since they would fit).
Old 02-16-2009, 08:48 AM
countryboy116
2nd Gear Member

I agree that running big wheels on a classic just doesnt seem right, but i think a 17 or below looks good, in my opinoin 15s are prefect, but to each his own everyone has their own opinion and ultimately its their car and they want it to look good to them, not you.

Quick Reply: Wheels and Tires 66 Fastback