Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

new paint blistering (help)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

I agree with JMD about contamination. Are you using a filter on the end of your hose before your gun to remove any contaminantes from you air line. I too am curious as to why you are waiting a week to clear. If you dont get you base scuffed properly you are going to have the possibility of your clear peeling off as well.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:02 AM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

i have to wait because i took the week off for this and ran into more problems than i planned. i did re do the B/C one side is fine and the other just has minor "crackling". I may just live with the minor issue and clear today but its too bloody cold mid 40's.

original plan was to
paint and clear
rewire the car
pickup T5 tranny (completed)
light reassembly

SNAFU
Old 02-14-2009, 11:05 AM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tony R
I agree with JMD about contamination. Are you using a filter on the end of your hose before your gun to remove any contaminantes from you air line. I too am curious as to why you are waiting a week to clear. If you dont get you base scuffed properly you are going to have the possibility of your clear peeling off as well.
you have got to be kidding me.........ok then clear today it is, i guess i will have to live with the minor issue, at least its not major like it was.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:21 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

It is not a big deal to re-scuff the base so long as it is not a metallic paint. Hopefully you are doing a solid color, a solid color is a lot easier for a beginner.

If you are going to try and finish this weekend, I recommend getting yourself some fisheye eliminator that I mentioned earlier. It will help with your situation.

Well, I am going to the garage, I will check back this evening....

Here is a picture of my and 66JamesStangs paint job for this week...

I am kind of in "paint mode" so I had to add my .02 here....
Attached Thumbnails new paint blistering (help)-picture037-1.jpg  
Old 02-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

I dont want to scare you about the clear peeling but it could happen. Here is a pic of the roof on my exploder. I painted it about 3 years ago and the clear is coming off the roof now. I painted it with PPG and I flamed it. I Knew that the paint had a window from painting base to the clear. I also knew that if I didn't get the clear on in that time frame that I would have to scuff the base. Well I painted my base and then I scuffed the base and masked and painted my flames. This all took about 3 days and then I cleared. I apparently didn't scuff the roof enough as you can see. I found out later that I should have cleared at least one coat after I applied the base then flamed and then re scuffed the clear and applied more clear. Live and learn. If it was me I may consider clearing the car and then you could fix your bad spots next week. However that is a judgment call that only you can make.
Attached Thumbnails new paint blistering (help)-tmpphpm2uvju.jpg   new paint blistering (help)-tmpphplbjpaz.jpg  
Old 02-14-2009, 02:40 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the paint cracking is applying the base to wet, are you using the correct reducer? the paint can seem dry to the touch with the wrong reducer when the truth is its not really. then you recoat and it cause the bottom layer to soften and release solvents etc
Old 02-14-2009, 05:18 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

You need to follow the Tech Sheets for your paint as far as mixing, ratios, induction periods (epoxy), time windows, temperatures and recoating.
Lots of time and money was spent to engineer the paint and make the Tech Sheets. The tech sheets should be considered gospel and followed.
The base coat I used required 20 minutes to flash (minimum time before another base coat is applied) and the base needed to have clear on it within 24 hours. If I waited longer than 24 hours for clear it would have needed to be scuffed and shot with a new base coat. The base and clear actually combine chemically to form a single layer. If too much time passes, they will not combine chemically.

Also if you are using towels to wipe it down it might be a problem. The fabric softener sheets in the dryer will cause paint problems if used on a towel.
Good luck and you will figure it out
Post some pictures if you can.