Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

this really sucks... :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 02:03 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

Default this really sucks... :(

other night, was driving home and it had been raining a off and on all day, went this road that i drive on all the time, and as I went around a corner going about 30 (caution signs read 35) the back end came around pretty fast, I couldnt correct it and spun the front of my car into a dirt bank wall. (funny, that dirt part is on on a friend of mines family property line). anyway, bent the bumper up twoard the hood pretty good, broke one of my brackets for my lights, just barely bent the front of my fender extension things, and the worse part it that the bumper brackets got wrenched up bad enough to lift the whole front frame support so my radiator/fan shroud is about a 1/2"- 1" inch too high (therefore my hood is sitting high, but not bent at all. and i had to take the shroud off toe get it home as the fan was scrapping the bottom) im affraid the left frame rail is also slightly out of true as well as my fender was kinda tweaked out of alignment.
basicly im here all depressed and venting as i had just gotten the money for a disk brake conversion and a front end rebuild.
ill post pics of the damage after i get my digital camera back this afternoon.

Last edited by flyingfool; 02-13-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:34 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Wow, that does suck. At least you are ok though.. You can allways find another car, but maybe not another flyingfool... (lol)

Looks like you'll have to put the brake conversion on hold and fix her up.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:36 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

are your tires bald or something?
Old 02-13-2009, 03:01 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about that.

I did something similar years ago in a '80 Firebird - T/A that I used to own.

Only in my case I was haulin a** around a turn that a crew doing road construction left sand all over the road with no warning signs. Back end broke loose and managed to clobber one of their construction barrels before running up a concrete deal. I always counted my blessings that I didn't flip the dam thing.

On the plus side of things, at least you are ok and no one was hurt.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:08 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Wow, that does suck, I'm sorry that happened to you. Good luck getting her fixed.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:52 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

thanks to all, yes i am fine. if i wasnt, i wouldnt be nearly as pissed about the car! haha. from what i can see, it is fixable. just beyond that easy point though. looking on the bright side, without the fenders on and everyhing, i get a real easy job of doing any suspension work. im gonna take it by a couple places and see what they suggest about fixing it. i might have to go learn a bit of welding if its too expensive to pay.
my tires arent bald, but the rear end of my car is very stiff, and when i went around the corner, the back end hit a small bump, and it just jolted the car enough. wasnt REALLY wet, so im thinking just oily and slick or somthing
Old 02-13-2009, 03:52 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

thanks to all, yes i am fine. if i wasnt, i wouldnt be nearly as pissed about the car! haha. from what i can see, it is fixable. just beyond that easy point though. looking on the bright side, without the fenders on and everyhing, i get a real easy job of doing any suspension work. im gonna take it by a couple places and see what they suggest about fixing it. i might have to go learn a bit of welding if its too expensive to pay.
my tires arent bald, but the rear end of my car is very stiff, and when i went around the corner, the back end hit a small bump, and it just jolted the car enough. wasnt REALLY wet, so im thinking just oily and slick or somthing
Old 02-13-2009, 04:09 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

good thing is you are alright. ther rest ...... will come together
I'm quite sure once you have it disassembled it's not all bad and you can bend most of it back to place.

!best of luck!

Kalli
Old 02-13-2009, 04:43 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

ok, got the pictures!

the general front veiw, right after i got home.

the part on the lower right is acctually the vinyl on the bumper where is over laps the fender

now for the scary part that has me a little worried.

this bracket is supposed to be slightly tilted up, but its still pretty high

right side bracket it much better.

any suggestions would be wlecome as to a plan of attack
Old 02-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Sorry to hear that man. At least you're ok.

nba has a good question, though. Are your tires old/bald? I have Radial T/A's on my 67, which have absolutely terrible traction in wet weather, but I have to really haul *** around a corner to swing the back end out like that.

Quick Reply: this really sucks... :(