Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Loud Irritating Front End Creak/Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
It's doable, but it requires a special coil spring compressor. If you're handy, you can make your own, or you can pick up a decent unit (that won't break and kill you) for under $100.

While you're in there, you may consider replacing your coil springs.
EnglishJ, THis is good advice, but if you're unfamiliar with changing suspension parts, I would stick with a coil depression tool from an auto psrts supplier, A depressed coil spring can kill you if it isn't taken out properly and projects out at you.

My advise is if you are already dismantling this part of your car, and you have the money in your budget, consider replacing all the worn parts. Suspension parts usually wear together. If your UCA bushings are shot, then your spring perches might be shot too. Now's the time to change them and save labor. Check if your shocks are leaking too. Good luck.

CP
Old 02-17-2009, 05:59 AM
EnglishJ

Thanks, what puzzles me though is why it only does it after a few days of use, surely if something was worn the noise would be there all the time?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:06 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

nah. thats the way it reacts with me as well. sometimes there sometimes gone.
Sometimes it seems to be related to the weather and sometimes to my modd and sometimes to whatever kind of cow I'm passing ... if that cures it rebuild it.
i stole the original picture from Daze. i hope he doesn't mind.
Attached Thumbnails Loud Irritating Front End Creak/Squeak-stocksuspension.jpg  
Old 02-17-2009, 09:49 AM
EnglishJ

Well i've just been out for a quick drive then back at the garage I was looking at the problem again and the noise is almost definitely coming from the shock itself because I had the hood open and was bouncing the car up and down with my ear to the top of the shock tower, exactly where the arrow is pointing in my picture, and the noise is right at the top almost to the point where I thought it may be one of the bolts that is the culprit, definitely no lower, the best I can describe the noise is like a rusty bed spring, it makes the noise the most when you push the car right down then when I gradually let it creep up it squeaks/creaks really loud, my Dad is putting it over the pit this afternoon and is going to try the greasing route and i'll go from there
Old 02-17-2009, 01:14 PM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

Why not try unbolting the top of the shock, then bounce the car. If it continues to squeak, then its the uca. If not, its the shock.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:35 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

no way it's not the UCA :-)
Old 02-18-2009, 02:10 PM
EnglishJ

Sounds almost identical to this one, although mine's definitely the front

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCFgc...eature=related
Old 02-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Either the UCA bushings or the upper coil spring mount (which wouldn't suprise me). I've never heard an upper shock bushing make any significant amount of noise.

Get under the wheel well and spray the upper coil spring mount with some penetrating oil. If the sound goes away, there's your culprit.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:18 PM
EnglishJ

All sorted, the problem was due to a dry bearing on the upper A arm, it was bone dry when it was dismantled(blanked grease point) which explains the noise, all the suspension components on it seem to be the original Fomoco ones, such a relief to get rid of that noise after all these years, thanks for your help everyone
Old 05-27-2011, 08:40 PM
munro724

Default Squeaky left front, and always popping engine codes

Good evening, I recently purchased a 97 SVT Cobra and there is a squeak in the left front end, and I have been receiving different engine codes regarding insufficient secondary air flow. Should I change all of the sensors or is it from the cold air induction that is installed? thanks for the info