Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Loud Irritating Front End Creak/Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:44 PM
EnglishJ

Default Loud Irritating Front End Creak/Squeak

Ever since i've had my 71 i've had an annoyingly loud creak/squeak that is coming from the front left driver's side shock tower area, it doesn't really happen when going over speed bumps, it happens more at slow speeds when braking or accelerating and when going over smaller bumps, it's loud enough that it's almost embarrassing going through town, also when I rock the car up and down from the outside the noise happens, I can get the noise the most when pushing the car down then when it's on it's way up the creak/squeak is there if that makes sense, i've greased the nipples on the front suspension and also sprayed the area with maintenance spray but the noise is still there, the weird thing is it only appears after a lot of use, for example, if I get the car out for the weekend the noise would not be there on the Saturday, but after constant use the noise will start to appear on the Sunday, not sure why? With the hood open the noise seems to be coming the most from the top of the shock tower, it's a shame we're not in show season because i'd be interested to get other people to hear the noise as it's difficult to explain in writing, any ideas? Steph next time you're at the garage working on your car give us a shout and i'll pop round and maybe you can shed some light on it, any ideas guys?

Old 02-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Upper A arm bushings. It's like a disease with Mustangs. From a bad design, they're difficult to reach and some cars don't have the proper grease nipple. Mine squeek like a bunch of mice having a fight in a breadbox. Try to get them lubed. Good luck, mate.

CP

EDIT: Here's a set of lube fittings for sale: http://mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=610041+01
If you can't find a garage that has them (many don't), then spring for them, use them then sell them on ebay. CP

Last edited by Carlos Pineiro; 02-15-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I agree, sounds like UCA bushings. If you have zerk fittings, you may be able to grease them. If they're old, they may just need to be replaced.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:06 PM
sethalot
2nd Gear Member

i have the same problem
Old 02-15-2009, 04:07 PM
EnglishJ

Thanks for the replies, i've never tackled suspension before, is this something that is easily replaced?
Old 02-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

It's doable, but it requires a special coil spring compressor. If you're handy, you can make your own, or you can pick up a decent unit (that won't break and kill you) for under $100.

While you're in there, you may consider replacing your coil springs.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:08 PM
EnglishJ

Thanks, any theories on why this only does it when in use a lot though? Must be a friction/heat thing perhaps? I'll give you an example, yesterday I drove the car for hours without any noise, it was only on my way home after hours of driving that the noise appeared, and today when the car was cold the noise was still there so it's not that the car was warmed up today, but I guarentee if I don't drive the car till next week the noise will temporarily be gone next weekend until I take it on another long drive, very strange
Old 02-15-2009, 05:28 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

yep. i have my money on the same as my car does the same.
Grease the crap out of it (every single zerk nipple). if that cures it you know exactly what it is. that usually helps for a few months. I'm about to replace UCA bushings in mine as well (have the parts already), but other projects are priority at the moment.
big hello to London from Cork by the way ;-)
Old 02-15-2009, 05:38 PM
EnglishJ

Hello to you too mate, yep I greased all the nipples a while back and it never made much difference, the annoying thing is not knowing where exactly the problem is, does yours do it all the time or just after a lot of use like mine?
Old 02-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Art Brock
2nd Gear Member

Second day I had my car it started sqeaking up front.
Took it to a shop & the old mechanic put it on a lift, used a grease gun with a needle fitting on it & poked it through the dust cover on the upper ball joint & greased the mess out of it while I pushed the car up & down until it stopped squeaking.
That was fine with me, cause I plan on completely rebuilding the front suspension this year anyway & it will be replaced then. Driven it over a year now & it just started squeaking a little again.

Quick Reply: Loud Irritating Front End Creak/Squeak