Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Lucas oil - For prelub of rebuiling an engine

Old 02-17-2009, 05:11 PM
mstg007
2nd Gear Member

Default Lucas oil - For prelub of rebuiling an engine

What are your thoughts about utilizing Lucas Oil for Cam Bearings and Cam, Connecting Rod Bearings and Main Bearings and Lifters, before I start to rebuild the engine back together? Or is there something else I should use?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Negative. I rarely recommend Lucas oil for anything (google "Lucas Oil foam" and you'll find out why), and that's definitely not one of them.

Cam lobes need to be lubed with special cam break-in lube. It's usually a sticky red lube that comes with most aftermarket cams, but can be bought from Summit as well (Comp Cams has small bottles).

All of the bearings/journals should be lubed with a moly-based engine assembly lube. Cylinder walls should be coated with a light amount of motor oil before installing the pistons, or a light amount of moly lube if the engine is going to sit for a while before break-in.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:59 PM
mstg007
2nd Gear Member

As for the moly based lube, would you recommend using the Summit® Dry Moly Lube? Its like a spray. Dry Moly Lube, Spray, 14 oz. Aerosol . or the paste type.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Kramer
2nd Gear Member

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

My reason for never wanting to buy Lucas Oil.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Exactly what I was talking about, Kramer.

mstg, engine assembly lube comes in liquid squeeze tubes and is available at just about any parts store. You want a liquid for the lubricity, and the moly for increased pressure resistance and to help the lube stick to the bearings a little better while you finish assembling the engine.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:59 PM
mstg007
2nd Gear Member

With that said, and what I saw above. I will stick to using the Indianapolis Colts Luscas Oil Stadium, instead of the liquid!
Thanks Star, I will got to autozone to see if they have some!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:04 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i've always used some regular ol' motor oil and STP mix on everything but flat tappet cam lobes, never had a problem using that method.

lucas is very similar, and while it may foam up when your using a whole bottle in your motor - using a little bit just to keep the oil "in place" on the bearings while building should be just fine.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:14 PM
mstg007
2nd Gear Member

So now, we are recommending a little Lucas Oil, or the STP?
Old 02-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The idea is to get something in there that won't run off the bearing surfaces like plain motor oil. I'm sure either would work, but engine assembly lube was created for a specific purpose, and I like to use it for that purpose. The suspended moly really does help with initial startup loads as well, especially if you end up cranking for a while to prime the carb and set the timing.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:15 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i'd recommend either lucas OR stp for a mix used for prelube. definitely use some cam lube for the cam lobes if its flat tappet though.

also, you should be priming your oil pump right before you stab your distributor when your ready to fire the motor. most local autopart stores have the priming tool available as a "free" rental.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lucas oil - For prelub of rebuiling an engine