Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

289 with exhaust cut outs

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 03:24 PM
royalcrown
1st Gear Member

Default 289 with exhaust cut outs

Anyone here have a 289 with cut outs? How does it sound? Anywhere I can find sound clips? Would modifying the exhaust in such a way devalue the car?
Old 02-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

I ran around for a week with open headers and to be honest that was enough for me.
Unless you've got the original exhaust modifying it will not devalue the car.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:04 PM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

If you can't find any clips just unbolt your "y" and turn the car on for a few minutes, second and that is what you will be hearing when you have your cutout opened. I was planning on installing some, but I was going to go with the electric ones. A little more expensive but worth it (to me), not going to happen any time soon since it is ending up being more expensive that what I was thinking it would be swaping and going efi.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:11 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by guybored
If you can't find any clips just unbolt your "y" and turn the car on for a few minutes, second and that is what you will be hearing when you have your cutout opened. I was planning on installing some, but I was going to go with the electric ones. A little more expensive but worth it (to me), not going to happen any time soon since it is ending up being more expensive that what I was thinking it would be swaping and going efi.
yeah, i think the elec ones would be better, but im afraid of the elements messing em up?
Old 02-22-2009, 02:44 AM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by royalcrown
Anyone here have a 289 with cut outs? How does it sound? Anywhere I can find sound clips? Would modifying the exhaust in such a way devalue the car?
These are mostly 302's but they're close enough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t3YX1EZ-cg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOScenaglZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7sCVMplOUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5SYavBuaPc
Old 02-22-2009, 06:20 AM
UBY289
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by guybored
I like this idea to. I was wondering how hard is it on thr motor when you run open headers. I thought or someone told me it can damage the valves . Anybody know.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:41 PM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

I am shocked no one mentioned anything about the "y" part. Forgot these have one pipe per side so you might have to unbolt 6 nuts. I used to have a cut out on my old car for maybe a year or a little more. I would run it open for a while then get tired of the noise and close it up. I never had any problems with anything and it was a stock motor. Makes it sound great rev it up next to some other cars and make them turn their heads. Usually cuz I would drive slow, only did this when they would start reving first. What I can tell you from experience is that gas for some reason seems to go fast, needle would go to empty alot faster. lol
Old 02-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UBY289
I like this idea to. I was wondering how hard is it on thr motor when you run open headers. I thought or someone told me it can damage the valves . Anybody know.
Eh, in theory. If you've got manifolds, it will probably lean the mixture out a hair, which could cause detonation and related issues. I wouldn't worry too much about burning a valve though. The idea is that when you shut off the engine, cold air can leak up through the exhaust and burn a valve. With a good length of exhaust, though, I don't think it's that much of an issue.