Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Novice Mistake - retrofit vintage radio in '65

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Dutchy

Default Novice Mistake - retrofit vintage radio in '65

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a '65 350GT Shelby Clone (traded in my '07 GT). It was a good deal for me, a great ride and am very happy with it. Although I checked the car out and tested it etc. before buying it I made one classic mistake: I did not look behind the relatively modern looking plastic radio front and assumed from pictures that the original holes were present.

Long story short, the radio panel slot has been slightly but crudely widened and 2 new holes have been drilled just below the original holes. My USA-66 vintage radio looks pretty bad in this set-up

Is there an elegant way of rectifying this? I picked up one of these radio repair panels, which I was going to cut out and mount in front of the gaping holes, but this will look rigged and ideally I would like to keep the dash in its original condition. Will it be a big undertaking/expensive to "origify"? Hope you can help...

check for some pictures of my car (white/blue) and radio :
http://driversource.com/classic.html
Old 02-21-2009, 04:51 PM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...real-pain.html
There was a long tread about this a week ago. Right now it is on page 5. It is headed Radio Patch...

Check it out, it answers all your questions.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:08 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I have seen people just paint them and install them with out bondoing etc. It looks decent.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...asp?T1=MSR2+01
Old 02-22-2009, 08:21 AM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

Look at the thread I mentioned above. There's a picture of my "Welding Challenged" plastic patch panel.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:47 AM
JamesW

Dutch,
Unless you are just super hard over on installing the USA-66, please consider other options. General discussion here, (as well as personal experience) is that the Custom Autosound radios are not up to par with the rest of the radio market. My experience with two of them has been that they have poor reception, are low power, and the tuner is inconsistent. You may want to reconsider just cutting the dash altogether and installing a DIN style modern head unit. Since you have a clone, I'm not sure how much you want to stay original looking.

Anyone else want to comment on their USA Radios?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:48 AM
JamesW

Dutch,
Unless you are just super hard over on installing the USA-66, please consider other options. General discussion here, (as well as personal experience) is that the Custom Autosound radios are not up to par with the rest of the radio market. My experience with two of them has been that they have poor reception, are low power, and the tuner is inconsistent. You may want to reconsider just cutting the dash altogether and installing a DIN style modern head unit. Since you have a clone, I'm not sure how much you want to stay original looking.

Anyone else want to comment on their USA Radios?