Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1967 power steering problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 PM
zeek427

Default 1967 power steering problem...

..just wanted to say hello... I've been reading posts for a while on this site and everything has been really helpful.

i have a 67 mustang coupe, 289 with a power steering problem. It has the original power steering rack but a newer style power steering pump - I think it came off a late model 302 mustang setup. Anyways, while going slow and making turns to the left or right the power steering screeches almost as if something is binding up causing the belt to slip. I'll be taking a look at the belt tomorrow to determine if the tension is correct or it needs replacing. However, the steering components are old, so I'm sure there something is binding up. Is there any recommended additive for power steering that will help reduce binding? What other causes could there be for this binding?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

A) There is no power steering 'rack' in your car, unless someone converted it. It should have a power assist ram hooked to a normal parallelogram steering linkage.

2) Either the power steering pump is making noise, or the belt's slipping. Pump noise will sound more like a loud, really fast ticking sound, or like a squeaky rubber bushing. A slipping belt will be a high pitched squeal. If the belt's slipping it likely needs to be tightened or replaced. If your pump is actually making noise, try flushing it out with some Seafoam Trans-Tune, then fill it back up and see how it works.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:41 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zeek427
..just wanted to say hello... I've been reading posts for a while on this site and everything has been really helpful.

i have a 67 mustang coupe, 289 with a power steering problem. It has the original power steering rack but a newer style power steering pump - I think it came off a late model 302 mustang setup. Anyways, while going slow and making turns to the left or right the power steering screeches almost as if something is binding up causing the belt to slip. I'll be taking a look at the belt tomorrow to determine if the tension is correct or it needs replacing. However, the steering components are old, so I'm sure there something is binding up. Is there any recommended additive for power steering that will help reduce binding? What other causes could there be for this binding?

Thanks
PS screeching noise is usually a loose, glazed or worn out belt. They're easy and inexpensive to change. Starfurry is correct on pump noises, if it's air in the pump or a pump issue, there is a whine noise that increases as more pressure is commanded. I hadn't heard of the seafoam trick but it sounds reasonable.