Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Just bought my 65! Question on a sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:23 PM
WarrenW
2nd Gear Member

Question Just bought my 65! Question on a sound

Hi Everyone,

I'm glad to say I just picked up a 65 Mustang tonight!!! I traded my 96 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup for this Mustang even. The Mustang has a straight six/auto in it and runs very well.

While driving it home I began to hear a repeating noise from one of the right side wheels. Almost like a flapping sound as the tire went around. When I pushed on the brakes it goes away. And I don't mean the sound stops when the car stops with the brakes. I mean it stops making that noise while the car is driving and the brakes are pressed some. I know its hard for anyone to identify the noise just by this description but figured I would ask anyways.

I've got a few things to do to the car. When I need to stop, I have to pump the brake pedal atleast once to get a good stop. Gotta love those drum brakes!! No heat in the car so I'm eventually going to add one of those heat/ac units in 3-4 months.

I'll post pictures of the car tomorrow.

Thanks!!

Warren

Last edited by WarrenW; 02-23-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:28 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Welcome to the forums. Don't really know how to fix the problem you are having though.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Could be a wheel bearing, but could also be an out of round drum that keeps rubbing on the shoes as it turns. Does the frequency change with speed?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

welcome

you shouldnt have to pump the brake to get it to stop just coz they are drums. if they are working properly the stopping ability is just as good as discs for the same size (ie what will fit under 14" rims). the big difference is that the discs cool more efficiently so you'll get more repeated stops before they start to fade.

when you get a chance, pull the wheels and take the drums off. whatever is flapping around may be obvious.

good luck.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:58 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Well, you can be almost certain it is brake related. It sounds like you have some air in the lines as you shouldn't have to pump them to get a firm pedal. It is a good idea to change the brake fluid anyway, so do that and bleed them and you will probably get a firm pedal back.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:02 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Brakes need a bleed probably. I would consider picking up a 67 style dual brake master cylinder for safety. It separates your front and rear brakes, adds redundancy.

We need some pictures!

Any rust?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:09 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Damn Aussie, where in the heck have you been? Long time no hear.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Yeah the sound can be 3 things wheel bearing,bent rim or bad tire.Yeah you shouldn't have to pump the brakes so you got brake work to do also.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:54 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

check on the brake hoses on the front. mayeb you have something hitting it while you drive causing this flapping sound. PLEASE do check on what causes the sound before you drive any further, it might be well dangerous.
Maybe jack up the car on that side and turn the wheel manually see if you can locate what's causing it.
Then make sure to bleed the whole brake system (replace not only bleed) as that mightn't have been done for several years turning your brakefluid into useless crap

reason I'm saying this is that most of the 65 models have a single circuit master brake. If one brake goes (looses pressure) all brakes go. there is no more stopping the car then
Old 02-24-2009, 08:27 AM
1sweet65stang
2nd Gear Member

haha if their bias if it was sitting awhile ull get this sound which sounds like what is going on since it happens when your driving the whole time wheel bearings are normally when your taking a corner

Quick Reply: Just bought my 65! Question on a sound