Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

while I'm at it ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 01:39 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

heheheee :-)

i only now figured that my old radiator is inlet and outlet both right hand side (passenger) while the new waterpump has the lower connection to the right (driver side). so I'll just wait with ordering parts.
tomorrow i'll do some battery box welding (got teh old one from my Buddys Chevelle) and cleanup. The engine should be here midweek. I'll start swapping over then and see what else I need before I order twice ...

Kalli
Old 03-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-23-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:28 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

that's an explanation for that. I'm either getting 200quid NPD rad or the one from summit

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

but i can't get my head around what they mean with tube size 1" ?! that's tiny if they talk inlet/outlet ?!

can't afford crossstream. don't wanna spend more than ~250 quid for that
Old 03-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Thumbs up

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-23-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:02 AM
66mustang302

Originally Posted by kalli
Since i'm upgrading the motor I have to pull the old one and will probably give the enginebay a new lick.

but there's a few other things i'm a bit worried about.
a) the car was original 170ci and so is the fuel system. I guess I have to upgrade all fuel lines back to front. 3/8" good enough for ~350HP (at least that's what I'm guessing the thing be at flywheel). 302 with edelbrock rpm top end kit. spinning up to 6500 rpm

b) the clutch. I'm not planning anything there until I have the engine on my lap as I have no idea if the thing will come with a flywheel. so I'll open another thread then.

c) exhaust system is 1-1/2" long tube headers and flowmaster 40 true dual. that should be plenty good I guess. I'll weld in a H-pipe down the road at some stage

d) i'll have the radiator and heater core checked and flushed in any case

Is there anything else I should consider doing?

Kalli
a) what year is the 302 and whats done to it? Also what exactly do you mean an Edelbrock top end? Carb, intake, and heads or what?

b) What transmission do you have? I have the 3 speed auto and it put up with ~200hp but it was rebuilt to have a manual valve body and to deal with higher hp

c) That will help, whats the diameter size of the exhaust system? Im hoping 2.5" anything less will kill power and anything above will kill back pressure

d) If your going from a 6 cylinder to a v8 you better upgrade the radiator otherwise your going to run into major issues. I would put a bigger radiator in and look into installing an electric fan that is controlled by a thermostat in
Old 03-09-2009, 05:28 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Scott: Thanks a million again. cannot believe the price for that crossflow rad. I'll doublecheck on the size of the thing when at car. thanks as well for clarifying that they're talking about the inside tubing or Core tubing whatever it might be called.
in any way I'll get that spring to help that lower hose. I hope to have my engine here Tomorrow or Wednesday (def this week). So I'll know more then on what parts I'm actually missing. again Thanks!

btw: quid just means money here. whatever you call it over there ... green/bucks/ .... :-) i actually meant $ as I can't expect anyone to convert money if i'm asking questions :-]

66mustang302:
a) 1972 302. shot peened crank and rods. arp rod bolts. edl rpm cam, edl rpm heads (2.02valves) and rpm intake, 10:1 compression. The thing should put down 350 HP/TQ theoretically.

b) rebuilt T5. should handle 325hp/tq easy if i don't rape her. backed by a 9" 3.5:1 trac-lok

c) 2.25" but I believe that should be ok as well. I'll def weld in a balancer tube behind the collector though

d) PO went from 6banger to 1966 289. onlu changed engine, rad and bellhousing as it seems. nothing else. I did all the suspension work (so far) and 5lug changes (discs front and back).

Basically I started with creating a solid drivetrain. now that this is done I can upgrade the engine without blowing everything to smithereens again (i have two 6-cylinder rear axles under my belt, only with an occasional heavy foot and a solid running 289).

Kalli
Old 03-18-2009, 06:09 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

So I ordered a huge bunch of parts from summit and waiting for them to come in. yesterday was paddys day. but instead of going to te pub I painted the engine bay.
New battery tray is in (it's from a 69 Chevelle) and I painted the whole engine compartment.
I brushed it with POR15 chassis black mixed with rust treating oil. It doesn't look proper, but at least it's all black instead of brown now. I haven't got the will and time and money to do that properly now (proper treat and spray paint), but I hope it'll come out at least lookable.
Parts are hopefully here for Friday so I might even be able top drop the new engine in next week. If all goes well (it usually doesn't) I'll be driving in 10 days again :]

Old 03-18-2009, 01:00 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Kalli I don't know if that is you in the engine bay but seeing you in there instead of an engine made me think of the "Flinstones" better get some better shoes if you're going to run the car that way.

Can't wait to see it when you have everything done.

Post more pics when the parts get there.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:33 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

will def post more.
yah that's me in the bay and the lads said as well I should strap the car around my shoulders and see how quick that thing goes ... :-)
Old 03-24-2009, 09:30 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

So i received the parts today.
It's the 2nd christmas this month already. girflriend is very tolerant thank god (so far at least)

I got the following parts:

Clutch Kit:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...part=MCL-75113

Flywheel:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...?part=RAM-1527

I really really hope that fits well together and together with my engine, gearbox and starter.

as well I got an electric fuelpump since my cam has no excentric (or at least I'm not sure it has and it's blocked off).
Bought a summit 7psi pump and filter, but reading up on the carb manual (edelbrock 650cfm) I shouldn't run more than 6.5 psi.
so i'll probably have to get a regulator as well now.

as well i got new heater core and about all water hoses and new alum rad (sorry scott, no crossflow. got the easy-to-change summit thingie)

I'll be over at car tonight for unpacking. and maybe install flywheel and clutch on new engine. or just exchnage the heater core in car.

hoping for the best here ....

Kalli

Quick Reply: while I'm at it ...