Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

while I'm at it ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-23-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:59 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Wow man, its coming along nice.. Keep with the updates, its a good read!
Old 03-25-2009, 07:43 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

and i can't wait to hear it either :-)
very slow last night. i was only ticking away. more talking then closing bolts.
I've fitted all pulleys, alternator and brackets but spent most of the time staring at the new parts.
They all _seem_ to fit... no f-words so far.

Although the summit website said there's no pilot bearing with the clutch kit I received one in the kit. Happy days.
It's actually a nice one with needles, nut just a metal ring. (kit contains plate, disc, pilot bearing, throwout bearing and plastic mockup of input shaft for alignment).
The parts seem very good quality. my original throwout bearing is laughable compared to this and the new one even has a grease nipple.

the current plan is to install flywheel and clutch on thursday night. Maybe I can drop the engine in on Sunday already, but she won't run until i installed the new ignition system and fuel pump.
That's what usually takes the most time, finding a space in engine bay and mount the hardware. little things like that.
The Mallory box came together with coil in some self-made bracket, but I'll probably move the coil back to distributor (front of head) and just mount the box on inner fender. not decided yet.

on Thursday I'll have to take a camera for some pics ...

Kalli
Old 03-29-2009, 05:03 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

soooo .... pilot bearing in, flywheel and clutch in. tis looking good.

The engine fell into place, gearbox hooked up, handbrake cables and driveshaft.
Planted the fan and radiator, all water hoses and it's sitting fine. less than 1" gap.

And that's what it's looking now (ignore the wrong firing order). it was from when I pulled the engine thinking I'd only change the heads

what's left to do now is the new ignition box, electronic fuelpump. Basically a bit of wiring. The battery box and headers and clutch Z-bar. so maybe i'm good to go by the end of week. depending on what I get done tomorrow night.

I'm well pleased so far :-)

surprisingly I haven't had any bigger issues today. The only tghings were the flywheel was a tad to tight to fit on the crank, but that was sorted with 15 min sandpaper and a rubber mallet. and i did a few stupid things like putting in the driveshaft without pulling the handbrake cables down, so i had to do that twice.
with all the rearaxle trouble in the past and plates and this and that I'd say i removed those driveshaft u-bolts about 20 times by now.

It worries me a liottle that everything was so easy, I'm a bit anxious if the starter will now actually match the flywheel and stuff. maybe I'll hook up the starter (and only that) just to see if its turning the engine ...

Last edited by kalli; 03-29-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:06 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Today i fitted the headers. what a nightmare. even worse that stupid Z-bar that goes between it. It took about 10 of my best curses and thanks me to god I had helping hands. It's all in. I adjusted the lower part of the clutch pedal (not really there yet), but it was half 11 so I called it quits. next day i'm over there (probabkly wednesday or thursday) i'll do the fuel (electric pump and relay) as well as the ignition. probably 3 hour jobbie as I'm using my original ignition setup (pertronix II) to keep the rally pac going. I'd say then I should be able for a first start. I don't have the oil yet, but i found someone who's ordering the reline breaking additive for me. that and some 15w40 should do

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_m...1&categoryID=1