Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

E-Stang Build Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:57 AM   #41
sailfish11
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Ford Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H. View Post
- You may want to think about converting from the 9" with discs to an 8.8" with drums. The 8.8" is about 15% more efficient, and will handle all the torque and horse power you'll put to the ground. Drum brakes have no rolling resistance like disc brakes do, so you'll gain efficiency there too. It's an easy swap that would more than pay for itself in what you can sell the 9" for. The other advantage to rear drums, is it allows for more pedal travel before applying the brakes. If your controller has infinitely variable regen via a brake pedal potentiometer, this will allow more throw for the pot, making for a smoother transition between regen force and braking force. Otherwise there is like this kind of "coast" point between where regen stops, and brakes apply that feels a bit funky.
Well, I just spent over $2000 installing/fixing the disk brakes, so I don't think I'll be replacing them anytime soon! I hadn't heard about drum brakes having less rolling resistance -- that's something I'll have to look into. But I know that many EV'ers convert to disk because of the increase in stopping power (to compensate for the extra battery weight).

It sounds like you have experience with EVs?

Quote:
- Add a hard rubber air dam across the front cross member (under where the radiator used to be). This will deflect air from under the chassis, and in through the "motor" compartment to aid in cooling the motor and controller assembly. It will also increase the aerodynamic efficiency of the car.
Interesting idea -- thanks!

Quote:
- Swap in an aluminum driveshaft for increased efficiency. I have *read* people using one from a Ford Aerostar that they modified to fit. I have not personally tried using an Aerostar drive shaft, so you may want to search for more information.
Already done!

Quote:
- LED lights, everywhere you can. The prices have really come down, and they are incredibly efficient. There are all kinds of websites where you can get them.
I plan to do this, although they don't save as much as you'd think. Or more accurately, regular bulbs don't use as much as you think. A typical taillight bulb uses around 60W. My battery pack holds about 19,000 watts, so a little taillight or two doesn't bother it much. Every little bit helps though, and the car doesn't have any bulbs now, so I'll go ahead and buy LEDs where I can -- both exterior and interior.

Quote:
I'm really looking forward to watching your progress. Keep those posts coming!
When you ETS, think about joining your local American Legion post! And thank you very much for your service to this incredibly great country!
Thanks, and you're welcome!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
sailfish11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #42
sailfish11
1st Gear Member

Default Back Home!

Hi again all!

After nearly a year, I'm finally back home! I got back about a week ago and I'm getting settled back in. As I'm sure you can imagine, it's great to be home again.

Unfortunately, not much has happened to the car in the past month. Joe (the guy converting the car for me) has had some health problems, and I've obviously been busy getting home, so there's been very little progress on the E-Stang.

Joe did install the shock tower bracket and another brace bar as you can see here:

Click the image to open in full size.

The hardest part of not having the car yet, is that this is going to be my daily driver. My wife has her car, and I have an old Triumph Spitfire in my garage, but until the Mustang gets here I don't having anything to drive.

Since it looks like it's going to be a while before I get the car, I've started working on the Spitfire. It used to drive great, but hasn't been started in about four years. Of course, the battery was shot. Once I got that replaced, I discovered the fuel tank has a leak. I tried to patch that, but it was rusted so bad I had to replace it. I just got the new tank yesterday and I'm installing it now -- wish me luck!
Old 04-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #43
JamesW

come onn!....let's get it finished!

If you're reading this, thank a Teacher.
If you're reading this in English, thank an American Soldier.

JamesW's Website
JamesW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #44
sailfish11
1st Gear Member

Yea, this is all going frustratingly slow. I guess it's not unusual for a unique project like this....

Joe got the front battery rack in:

Not a huge leap forward, but progress.

I've managed to get the Triumph running, which has helped me get around a little. To give you an idea of how rusted the old fuel tank was, take a look at the fuel gauge sender:

Here it is with the new tank installed:

Ok, I know, no more pictures of my Triumph on a Mustang forum!

I have to admit, I'm kind of glad to be working on something -- waiting for Joe to finish the Stang. I've already bought a whole bunch of restoration parts, which are sitting in my garage waiting to be installed!
Old 04-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #45
Green69
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1969 sportsroof

Hey, you're not the only one with that combo. I drove a '77 Spitfire 1500 while I was finishing up the Mustang. Slow but fun car, and easy to work on.

Sorry if I missed it, but how do you figure the weight balance will be, front/rear, with the batteries way up front?
Green69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #46
sailfish11
1st Gear Member

Joe's still working out exactly how many batteries will go where, but there are 98 total batteries, each weighing about 5.5lbs. My back-of-the-envelope calculations estimate that we can stick about 40 of them under the rear trunk (where the gas tank used to be); the rest of the cells will go up front in the motor compartment.

Ideally you'd want to keep the batteries between the axles, for weight and balance. Unfortunately that's not practicable in most cars. For me, I wanted to keep the majority of the weight up front, so that the car would act and feel more like a conventional internal combustion car. I also wanted to keep as much trunk space free as possible. So we're balancing all those factors and trying to come up with the best configuration.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #47
Green69
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1969 sportsroof

That makes sense. It'd be nice if the the cells could be short enough to raise the floorpan a few inches and place them underneath.
Green69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #48
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: Many

It's looking good, but why is your monte carlo bar mounted like that?

RCR GT40 Mk1
FFR Daytona Coupe (sold, sniff)
1968 GT500KR (clone)
1966 GT350 (clone)
1967 Mustang convertible (unmolested so far)
Hey, my whole life is a fake!

Need some motivation to get that thing started? Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRskJ...e=channel_page
or this:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ndvideo013.flv
fakesnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #49
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1968, 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakesnakes View Post
apparently joe (the builder/painter/monte carlo installer) does not know much about mustangs

2005 Mustang Coupe
5 Speed V6

"Lifes a long road and we all stop for gas"
knuckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #50
sailfish11
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakesnakes View Post
I thought that looked funny...help me out guys -- how's it supposed to go?

EDIT: Ok, I've looked around and the only thing I see is that he's got the bracket mounted oddly. It should be mounted with the wedge-shaped part vertical, not horizontal as he has it. Then the bolts would actually go on the top of the mount. Is that what you guys are talking about?

Do you think it will work the way it is? I'd hate to have him drilling more holes than necessary....

Last edited by sailfish11; 04-13-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #51
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 65 Ford Mustang

That is one hell of a cool project something that i really admire you for haveing the ***** to do. As for the monte carlo bar the braces should be the other way round with the large flat pieces bolted to the side of the engine bay and the shorter parts mounted to top of engine bay/inner fender. Check mustang monthly website for pics Unfortunatley I don't have any pics.

paddy187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #52
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1968, 2005

he put the mounting brackets in upside down and backwards. the short part that is mounted to the side wall should be mounted to the top of the fender. and the long part holding the bar up should be mounted to the side wall

so yeah he just put it in upside down

2005 Mustang Coupe
5 Speed V6

"Lifes a long road and we all stop for gas"
knuckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #53
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: Many

Here is a picture:

RCR GT40 Mk1
FFR Daytona Coupe (sold, sniff)
1968 GT500KR (clone)
1966 GT350 (clone)
1967 Mustang convertible (unmolested so far)
Hey, my whole life is a fake!

Need some motivation to get that thing started? Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRskJ...e=channel_page
or this:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ndvideo013.flv
fakesnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #54
sailfish11
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys -- I've passed along the info to Joe and he's going to fix it. He's a wiz with the electronics stuff, but obviously not too familiar with Mustangs. I guess I've got some things to learn too!

Here are some more pictures:

Here's the batteries hooked up with the battery management system (BMS) -- the BMS keeps the cells from becoming over (or under) charged. A small IC is attached to each cell.

...and a close-up of the BMS:

Old 04-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #55
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966 mustang fastback

i understand just about one thousandth of this, but its cool!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony View Post
My IDs used to be FootballnCrabs, but for whatever reason everyone thought I was a homosexual football player that enjoyed spreading his STD around the locker room. Go figure.
racin66coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #56
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: Too many to list, 30+

Interesting project. I have seen EV S10s, and alternate energy is more than just cool around my place. I would give it a shot if I have my generator up and running on methane, and if I could afford the parts needed to get over 100 miles from a charge. 60 miles would get me to town and around a little bit. I would have to hang out in town and wait for a charge.

I like the power of the electrics, we run smaller versions of those in our RC trucks and airplanes. I have a seriously fast FW190.. I dont like the cost, the weight of the batteries, and the limited range. We need people to experiment and push the envelope in all alternative areas, that will bring the price/weight down and the range up just through finding better ways to do things.

In the same real of not burning gasoline, the big project here is home brew ethanol and biogas plants. Since we have the room, we can have a couple stills, and biogas plants that will heat the house, shop, stills, and allow us to make our own electricity. We make ethanol from spoiled produce and very difficult to kill weeds. I really enjoy seeing other people take on projects like this, I don't feel so alone that way.

You will get people telling you its stupid, or that you are nuts, and you will get looks similar to what you would get if you had a third eye in your forehead. What matters is it works, is reliable, isnt pokey slow like a golf cart, and its in a cool looking car. As long as it makes power I dont mind if it doesnt make noise, even though mine will get noticed from half a mile away...

Keep plugging away at it, I curious about it and want to see it done. Maybe we can see who gets the lower ET.. Clash of the alt vehicles!

THUMPIN455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #57
sailfish11
1st Gear Member

Well, the project is moving along. Joe fixed the monte carlo bar. Here it is, also showing some of the batteries installed in the motor bay:

He's also got the rear battery box framed up, ready for welding:

This will go under the trunk, where the gas tank used to be.

By the way, once is this done he's going to ship it to me from Oregon to NY. Any suggestions on a good transporter?

Also, I'm obviously going to wait to get it painted until after it ships, but I'm wondering about the top -- should I tell him to wait on installing that too, since the painter will probably just remove it anyway? If he doesn't install the top though, I guess I'd have to ship it in a covered truck.... Any ideas/suggestions?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #58
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 69 Grande' Coupe / 67 A Fastback

Any updates on this thing??

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2665602
boogerschnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #59
Gun Jam

Send a message via ICQ to Gun Jam Send a message via AIM to Gun Jam Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Jam

I see demons

Masters of Industrial Technology intelligence thats why I own guns made to drop elephants.
Gun Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #60
sailfish11
1st Gear Member

Nope, no demons -- just not much progress either.

Joe blew a couple of the BMS circuits while installing them and we had to order some new ones from the dealer in Australia. That took some time.

Click the image to open in full size.These are the BMS modules I'm talking about.

Joe's promised me some new pics soon and that the whole project should be done in the next week or so. We'll see.

I did manage to get the car insured, which was a pain. My insurance company (GEICO) wouldn't insure an electric car, so I had to shop around. The trouble is no one wanted to insure it without having it appraised. Joe can't finish it (and test drive it) without having it registered and insured, so it becomes a catch-22.

Finally, USAA (a military bank and insurance company) agreed to insure it after I showed them receipts, etc. to prove how much the car was worth.

The next thing will be getting the car from Oregon to my home in NY. I know there are lots of shipping companies out there -- anyone have any recommendations?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:51 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1965, 1967, 357, alert, back, build, classic, conversion, eleanor, electric, fast, inertia, llc, mustang, switch, thread, vehicle