Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How many square feet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:10 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Default How many square feet?

How many square feet would you say is the floor pan and toe boards/firewall are? Hopefully next weekend I will be replacing my passenger toe board and front floor pan and I figure it would be a good time to seal it and put some sound deadener and modern insulation down.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:17 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

~80 square feet is what it took me and i didnt even get to do the trunk because i ran out

but if your just doing the firewall and floor pans then that would be plenty
Old 03-02-2009, 10:01 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Thanks, thats about what I was figuring. I'm not concerned with the trunk at all, mainly with the front seats and the heat from the engine.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:15 PM
JamesW

this was 100 sq ft

http://www.midnightdsigns.com/Mustan...tion%20001.jpg
Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JamesW
damn you must have double layered perhaps?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:35 PM
JamesW

OOPS..MY BAD

I meant to say.... this is 50'. whoaaa

thanks for the catch!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

I bought 160 sq/ft of SecondSkin Dampilfier Pro and from the top of the firewall down, across the floor, up the trunk divider (welded in plate now), roof, trunk side of the divider, trunk floors, top of rear wheel wells got covered. I also used a lot of the scrape for inside the B-pillars, doors, inside the dash and hard ro reach places on the quarters. I have 1 of 5 boxes left over for doubling up in a few areas. Knock the front fenders and you get the typical 'tinny' sound but everywhere else its a very solid thump. Trunk, undercarage (POR-15ed right now), inside floor, fenders and inside all 4 wheel wells will be hit with the SecondSkin Spectrum product as well.

If you really want a difference I'd suggest getting 150 sq/ft of whatever you use. I didn't overlap except in a few areas and will use all 160 that I got. It really makes a huge difference!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

I'm not so much concerned with the noise, I actually like the noise and being able to hear my engine. I was mostly looking to put some insulation between me and the engine and trans other than just the sheet metal, there is none, the heat can get bad even on cool days. If it reduces some road noise great but I will redo it when I repaint the car down the road for everything, I'm just looking to make it a little more enjoyable to drive. I plan on getting a roll of RAAMmat BXT right now and when the full resto is due upgrade to Second Skin.

Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Toddman0025
2nd Gear Member

This has long been my "next" project...

Are there brands to stay away from?
Old 03-03-2009, 04:30 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by remicks
I'm not so much concerned with the noise, I actually like the noise and being able to hear my engine. I was mostly looking to put some insulation between me and the engine and trans other than just the sheet metal, there is none, the heat can get bad even on cool days. If it reduces some road noise great but I will redo it when I repaint the car down the road for everything, I'm just looking to make it a little more enjoyable to drive. I plan on getting a roll of RAAMmat BXT right now and when the full resto is due upgrade to Second Skin.

Thanks for the tips guys.
the only reason i installed insulation was also for heat as my transmission was making the cab of my car so freakin hot it was unbearable

well it worked and it quieted the sound a lot also but if the windows are down you still get to enjoy the exhaust

Quick Reply: How many square feet?