Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Let me introduce......

Old 06-13-2005, 03:47 PM
67CarolinaCoupe

Default Let me introduce......

.....myself.

What's up guys. I'm new to the forums. I've been lurking around for the past few days just reading up on all the great information and trying to get a feel for Mustang restoration. I've recently gotten the fever from watching all the shows on TV.

I'm in the very early stages of planning a restoration to my father's 1967 Coupe, and might not actaully get started on it for another few months. My Grandfather bought the car for my dad when he was 18 and he's had it ever since. This was also my first car. I started driving it in high school when I was 15 and drove it everyday for about 3 years.

The car is in pretty good shape. It has a few minor dents from my high school days, currently has two flat tires and needs a batery. I'm not certain of the rust situation. I think it will be minimal as the car has been stored mostly inside, for several years at my dad's tire business (which has since been sold), then in my grandfather's garage. But for the past couple of years the car has been outside. My dad has talked about building a garage for years, but hasn't done it yet.

What should I do to prevent weathering on the car? I'm definitely going to get a cover for it, but I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should do.

Also if there is anything else you guys can recommend I do in the early stages let me know. If definitely going to buy the service manual for starters.

I'll post some pictures of the car when I get a chance.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 06-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Let me introduce......

Welcome to the forums
Might try to clean it up the best ya can, hit it with a good coat a wax if its gonna be outside, some of these other guys will know what todo, I'm still new ere myself [:@]
Old 06-14-2005, 03:02 AM
Markstang1969
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. Hope you have found some good info so far. You may want to check under the car and under the carpets to see if any rust monsters have moved in.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:12 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, get a cover that can breathe. Take the carpets out to see if rust is in the floor, and if so, hit them with a good coating of POR 15 if it is only surface rust. BTW, welcome to the classic section of MF.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:05 PM
1970 mach1
2nd Gear Member

Cover the ground, or whatever is under the car with plastic, this will help saves the underbody from rotting away. Keeps the dampness away from underbody. Also put a couple of open boxes of baking soda in the car and one in the trunk, this also helps keep things smelling good and helps keep it dry. Always check on stored cars to make sure no animals, reptiles, or bugs have set up housekeeping in it. If so serve them with eviction notice. Good luck with your project and welcome to the Forum.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:26 PM
67CarolinaCoupe

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be doing this stuff ASAP.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

And, don't start it until after you have drained the oil and replaced it with 5 quarts of oil plus a new filter. Also, drain and flush the radiator before starting it. But only fill it with fresh water. After you have started it and let it get up to temperature, drain that water out while the engine is still running so you can get all the water out of the block as well. Then shut the engine down and fill the radiator with a 50/50 solution of distilled water and anti-freeze. Start it up again with the cap off, and keep adding the mixture until it is full. Put the cap back on and allow the engine to get back up to temperature, then shut it down. Wait a couple of hours, then take the cap off to make sure the rad is still full.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:50 PM
67CarolinaCoupe

Will do! thanks.

Search this Thread