Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

manual brakes.. who has them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 AM
68dustin
2nd Gear Member

Default manual brakes.. who has them?

I currently have power drum brakes... well they arent going to cut it anymore and i need to upgrade to disc. So my question is: who is running non power disc brakes and how do you like them?? do you wish you ran power? how are they compare to manual drum? Im leaning towards non-power because i just installed a supercharger and im worried about vacuum being an issue. I have a pretty radical cam so i was already running into vac. problems. I know there are vac. canisters out there, but under my hood already has enough stuff. Thanks everyone!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 AM
royalcrown
1st Gear Member

I have manual discs in the front. I really don't think they're that much different than manual drums. I mean, I'm sure they're better but not by a long shot.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Ohhh this should be debate when people get here.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:34 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i had horrible tiny non power assisted drum brakes. upgraded to manual disc (CSRP). difference is like day and night. no idea how much 'better' power assisted brakes would be but don't feel any need to find out.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I upgraded to the OE KH-style manual discs from CSRP last year after 7 years of driving around with manual drums every day. I wasn't sure about the lack of power assist on disc brakes, but my cam isn't very vacuum-friendly, so I scratched the booster and figured I'd add one later (with a vacuum canister) if I felt the need.

Almost a year later, and I'm still running on manual discs If anything, I think pedal effort has decreased slightly, while pedal travel has increased very slightly. This probably has to do with the fact that the 4-piston KH calipers have a huge piston surface area. With the old drums, I used to have to stand on the brakes to get the car to stop, and there wasn't much pressure difference between stopping and locking up the brakes. Keeping it stopped on a steep hill required a death grip on the steering wheel. With the discs, coming to a stop slowly requires less effort and is much more controllable. If you want to stop slowly, light pressure on the pedal. If you want to stop fast, increase pressure.

My recommendation, get a manual setup and convert later if you want to. IMO, it's not needed on a street car as long as you have a healthy right leg.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:26 AM
dano670
2nd Gear Member

I am still driving around with the old manual drum and I have the CSRP kit sitting in the shop. I am not installing them until my personal business does better. That way I can sell them if I need the money. Someday, I will be able to stop. Until then, I don't tailgate, much.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:38 AM
68dustin
2nd Gear Member

the manual csrp brakes is the route i plan on taking... it sounds like its really no big deal power or not. I have a stick so i really dont want to modify my brake pedal or swap it out for a new one either.
anybody else please chime in.. i plan on buying them in a few weeks.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:02 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

i have the manual CSRP brake kit...they work great! i definitely would not hesitate to go that route.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

I also have the CSRP. Very nice kit, good quality. Has everything you could need for the swap.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Gun Jam

Im running the 4 piston caliper SSBC front disc with 10" rotors...In my opinion with this setup power brakes are a waste of money and space.

-Gun

Quick Reply: manual brakes.. who has them?