Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rear Suspension???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Goauburn50
1st Gear Member

Default Rear Suspension???

Anyone recently put a new rear suspension kit on a '67 stang? I'm looking to replace all rear suspension. Any suggestions on a kit with all rear suspension parts? Springs, shocks, Everything Shackles or no shackles?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:07 PM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

http://mustangsplus.com/xcart/produc...4&cat=0&page=1

There ya go...everything you need. add a couple kyb shocks (or edelbrocks if ur a high roller) and ur set
Old 03-04-2009, 08:59 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

I used that kit from Mustangs Plus. Pretty easy install. I also installed sub frame connecters and shelby style under-riders. Dramatic improvement when done. Well worth the effort.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

+1
That's all you really need to do. I've got the same 4.5 leaf mid-eye leafs Jonward has, combined with some Edelbrock IAS shocks, and I'm very happy with the stance and handling. They're a little firm on the street, but there's still some body roll in the back when cornering hard. I'm tempted to throw a rear sway bar on, but I'm not sure I want to deal with having the back end that loose on a daily driver car.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Goauburn50
1st Gear Member

Thanks. It looks like I'm probably gonna get the Kit from mustangs plus with the edlebrock shocks. My poor springs have so much sag they are almost flat. Thanks for the tip with the under riders and sub frame connectors. That's something I'll look forward to adding at a later time.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:21 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

A rear sway bar, if it is the correct size, is not a bad feature IMO. It does feel much more free, but I am not had any dangerous experiences so far, and I have put many many miles on the car on twisty roads since installing it. I regularlly take turns 20-30 miles over the posted curve speed limit and have not had it snap loose yet. I am running pretty sticky tires though. I could see why someone could find it a little unnerving since most all street cars are built with a push understeer configuration. When you drive something that is neutral, it will feel loose compared to other cars.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:07 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Well my back suspension will need to be replaced down the road. I probably will replace the gas shocks on it in the near future but it was my front suspension that needed immediate attention.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Oh wow...
Old 03-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

holy smokes are you for real?!?!?! Starfury nailed it, WOW!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Quik_Stang

Not trying to thread jack, but I have been eyeballing that same kit, but I have no idea what the difference would be, handling wise, between the standard, mid eye, and reverse eye? If I was just wanting to lower the back 1" and have it handle nice, what would I go with?

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension???