Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Wouldn't start after washing

Old 03-05-2009, 02:23 PM
royalcrown
1st Gear Member

Default Wouldn't start after washing

I just got done washing my car for the first time and it wouldn't start up right afterwards. It had just been running 5 minutes earlier. I assume it was due to water getting in the cowl vents but am not sure. After sitting for about 10 minutes it started right up. Is this a common occurance? If so, how the heck would I ever drive it in the rain if I had to?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:27 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Had to be because of the water....I had a friend that used to do that to his 4x4 on occasion but that was due to running in standing water and getting water under the distributor.

Haven't gotten around to fixing my cowl yet so I bought one of those plastic covers to put over it for washing or the surprise thunderstorm and it works to keep the water out. I don't leave it on just put it on as needed. Most of the time it stays in the trunk.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:36 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by royalcrown
I just got done washing my car for the first time and it wouldn't start up right afterwards. It had just been running 5 minutes earlier. I assume it was due to water getting in the cowl vents but am not sure. After sitting for about 10 minutes it started right up. Is this a common occurance? If so, how the heck would I ever drive it in the rain if I had to?
I think its more likely that water got on something under your hood.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:05 PM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

If you get water or condensation under your Dizzy Cap it will not start. If you have an old cap replace it, its only a few bucks.

I washed my engine and bay once (covered the carb and dizzy) and she started right up. Drove to get gas, turned her off, then she started right up again. I pulled out across three lanes of traffic and she died in the 1st lane. Luckily I had enough momentum to get across. The guy in the dump truck coming at me at 65 mph thought I was slowing down just for fun. I pulled the cap and dried it and she started right up.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:11 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

I've had cars that won't run even with a little moisture under the distributor cap. Just pop it off and check.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:43 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Check under the cap for moisture like said before. If it ever happens again, squirt a little WD40 in the cap and she'll fire right up.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:19 PM
royalcrown
1st Gear Member

thanks for the input guys. i'll definately check the distributor cap next time. on a side note, what harm can be caused by water getting into the cowl vents? just leaking down inside the interior?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:23 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Shouldn't leak into the car unless the cowl is rotten. The cowls should drain out under the fenders.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:11 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Yeh, water in the cowl will do nothing but increase your rust in that area. It was will have no affect on the car starting.

My car died twice in the car wash. Come to find out, it was getting water in the MSD box and finally killed it totally. I had to push the car out of the car wash and get a tow. When I replaced the MSD box it fired right up. Water got into something electrical or down the carb on your car. Start drying and using WD40 (water displacement formula 40). That is was it was designed for!
Old 03-06-2009, 11:32 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

yep. mois distributor cap. no need to replace. just dry with paper towel or blow the water out with pressurized air. ....or .. you got water into your carb by either doing a motor wash or not having an airfilter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wouldn't start after washing