Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:25 AM
built67
2nd Gear Member

Default which is better?

ok, so i am about to order my suspension kit. i talked to this guy joe who owns mustangs plus in Kansas City, and he said he could put a kit together for me that consists of the following:

-4 KYB shocks
-2 620 coil springs (scott drake)
-Mid eye leaf springs (5leaf) (scott drake)
-2 upper/2lower control arms (KRS)
-2 spring perches with poly bushings (KRS) (he said roller perches are overkill for a street car. do u agree?)
-1" front sway bar (Scott drake)/ 3/4" rear sway bar (scott drake)
-upper spring isolator pads
-leaf spring eye bolts
-4 u bolts
-2 rear shackle kits

cost: $1,180 delivered.

do you guys think these are good name parts, and is this a good price? or i was thinking of the grab-a-trak kit, which is better? give me your opinions. thanks guys i appreciate it.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I already have issues with what he's recommending, but to figure out what you actually need, we need to know more about you and the car. How often/hard do you drive it? How comfortable do you want it to ride vs how well do you want it to handle? Do you want a stock ride height, or lowered? Raked?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:59 PM
built67
2nd Gear Member

what issues do you see? i'll try to give u as much info as possible:

-its a weekend driver.
-im going to be putting either a 347 stroker or 351W in it. going to be driven hard but not all the time ( dont want to beat on it too much)
- not sure whats best as far as ride height. i want it to handle good, but i want pretty meaty tires in the back, what should i do?
-i dont care about comfort. its a muscle car not a luxury car. if its rough but handles well im fine with that.

thanks for the help!
Old 03-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Well, rear wheel clearance is independant of ride height. The wheels and tires either fit (under the wheel wells) or they don't. The front can depend on tire/wheel size, because excessive lowering may cause rubbing during corners.

My personal preference, one that's shared with many people, is for a very slight front rake, which usually means 1" drop (mid-eye) leafs and 1-2" drop springs in the front.

Since it's a weekend car, you can probably get away with 5 leaf springs out back. It'll be stiff and have a tendancy to skitter across bumpy roads, but it'll handle well on smooth roads. Most Mustang wherehouses will sell kits with u-bolts, shackles, and bushings.

For the front, 1" drop 620lb springs will probably work. Again, stiff, but it's a weekend car. If you want more than 1" drop in the front, get 540lb 1" drop springs and cut them. You don't want to cut 620's.

Roller perches are not overkill for the street, by any means. I have them and I love them. They keep the suspension from binding and putting a side load on the shocks (I actually broke a shock last year, before I switched). This allows the springs to actually do their job absorbing road shocks, and allows the shocks to keep the tires on the ground. The end result is a smoother ride with better handling, and no squeaks from a bushing.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:53 PM
built67
2nd Gear Member

ok great thanks a lot. so do u think that price he gave me is fair or kind of expensive? he also said a 1 1/8inch sway bar is overkill and to stay with a 1inch
Old 03-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

It seems like it's well on the high side, but I'm not sure about that. Price everything out at someplace like NPD or Glazier's and see what it comes out to for a comparison.

With a 3/4" rear bar, you could go with a 1-1/8" front bar, although I think Urban Cowboy mentioned that he has a 1" front and 3/4" rear and likes the way it handles.