Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Question on 'painless wiring' and termination points

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 04:44 PM
sschanz
2nd Gear Member

Default Question on 'painless wiring' and termination points

If my '66 has NO wiring in the car at all - zero, none, zip - is this kit fully terminated? I understand the wiring is terminated to the fuse block, but is the wiring for the headlamps as an example plug in and go? Same with all other connections - are they there and already installed?

Then for the instrument panel, are all wiring already terminated to where the plugs and lamp sockets just plug into the back of the guage cluster.

I am PRAYING someone tells me yes.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:29 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

The ends of the wires are not all terminated, BUT they do come with a terminal kit that you can custom cut to length and terminate yourself. It also comes with the terminated pigtails like for the headlights. The instrument gauge cluster kit also has all the necessary terminations. The kit also comes with the necessary ground pigtails too.

My 67 had no wiring in it at all either, zippo. I am currently in the process of installing my painless wiring kit. So far, so good. The only issue I see is, in my fastback, there are two rear lights and I will have to run from one side to the other to get to the passenger side light. Not sure if it's just for the single light like in a coupe, but no big deal.

Last edited by zmetalmilitia; 03-08-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:24 PM
sschanz
2nd Gear Member

Great to hear. As long as it comes with everything needed - then I'll be good.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:30 AM
1966stangkid

it has every thing. from headlight to tail light. fusebox, pig tails, light bulbs, EVERYTHING. the only other item i would buy with the kid is the wiring installation clips sold from mustangs unlimited. great kit once again has everything from front to back great investment. ...i did the whole car by myself and it was easyy. good luck
Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 AM
rbrown22
2nd Gear Member

I had to re use a few plugs on my '84 CJ7 when I installed the painless system. Headlights, taillights, and side marks.. but that's it..
Old 03-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Wally8401

I'm installing my painless 20120 kit on my '66 coupe now. The headlights and wiper motor are about the on thing that are preterminated. The kit does come with a termination kit that is pretty close to everything that you will need for engine compartment like the alternator, regulator and solenoid. There will also be a pigtail kit for the instrument cluster and alternator to regulator. If you dont have the pigtails from the tail lights (Round center-pin connector) you will need to buy those. The park, front turn lamps should have the wires already connected.

Here's what to check for (problems Ive encountered) so far.

On my harness, the 6 pin connector from the underdash area (Headlight section A) was wired 180 degrees out from the 6 pin connector on the engine compartment side (Headlight section B) I talked to painless about this and they said this has happened before. The fix they said (my harness is installed) is to de-connect the six pins and connect them individually. I was able to modify the connector so as to not have to do this, by trimming the square sides of the connector moldings. They made me no offer of compensation for the 10 plus hours of troubleshooting I did to find out why nothing seemed to work on the front lights except the left park light and why the left headlight flashes when the right turn signal is turned on.

Problem 2 I found after fixing problem 1. The headlights would not turn on in dim. Brights did work. More troubleshooting. After replacing the dimmer switch, I found that painless had wired the three pin connector for the switch wrong. The power in from the headlight switch and power out to high beams are swapped in the connector. Other than re-terminating the wires, I see no other fix.

Other than that, no problems. Of course I haven't checked every circuit yet. I've e-mailed Painless and asked for my money back on this harness. To put up with these kind of issues on what is billed as a top quality product, is unsat. I'm sure that this is a rare occurance with them and even with all of that, I would recommend the harness. Just be sure that the wire colors on the 6 pin headlight harness ( A and B) match up and that wire 907 to the dimmer switch connector, is the center wire in the connector.

Last edited by Wally8401; 03-09-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Wally8401

Default Not So Painless

I'm installing my painless 20120 kit on my '66 coupe now. The headlights and wiper motor are about the only thing that are pre-terminated. The kit does come with a termination kit that is pretty close to everything that you will need for engine compartment like the alternator, regulator and solenoid. There will also be a pigtail kit for the instrument cluster and alternator to regulator. If you dont have the pigtails from the tail lights (Round center-pin connector) you will need to buy those. The park, front turn lamps should have the wires already connected.

Here's what to check for (problems Ive encountered) so far.

On my harness, the 6 pin connector from the underdash area (Headlight section A) was wired 180 degrees out from the 6 pin connector on the engine compartment side (Headlight section B) I talked to painless about this and they said this has happened before. The fix they said (my harness is installed) is to de-connect the six pins and connect them individually. I was able to modify the connector so as to not have to do this, by trimming the square sides of the connector moldings. They made me no offer of compensation for the 10 plus hours of troubleshooting I did to find out why nothing seemed to work on the front lights except the left park light and why the left headlight flashes when the right turn signal is turned on.

Problem 2 I found after fixing problem 1. The headlights would not turn on in dim. Brights did work. More troubleshooting. After replacing the dimmer switch, I found that painless had wired the three pin connector for the switch wrong. The power in from the headlight switch and power out to high beams are swapped in the connector. Other than re-terminating the wires, I see no other fix.

Other than that, no problems. Of course I haven't checked every circuit yet. I've e-mailed Painless and asked for my money back on this harness. To put up with these kind of issues on what is billed as a top quality product, is unsat. I'm sure that this is a rare occurance with them and even with all of that, I would recommed the harness. Just be sure that the wire colors on the 6 pin headlight harness (A and B) match up and that wire 907 to the dimmer switch connector, is the center wire in the connector.