Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Bolt Boss repair....

Old 03-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Sunpacceo

Default Bolt Boss repair....

I have a broken bolt and its in a difficult spot to access. Its one of the three bolt boss on the transmission tail on a manual 3speed ,66 coupe. These hold the the shifter assembly to the side of the mission.

I have one that is cracked and the section is missing. I tried putting a
5/16-18 bolt back in it but there are not enough threads left for it to grab. Is there as way to rebuild the bolt boss understanding that I will not be able to drill it once it is rebuilt. What about rebuilding the boss with the bolt in place with some JB weld or will that just make a mess?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:53 PM
JamesW

can you get a photo of it and the surrounding area so we can see the situation?
Old 03-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

You can get products like CCW's steel-reinforced epoxy that are capable of being drilled and tapped. That's probably what I'd recommend in your case. It's not quite as stable as welding it up and then drilling and tapping it, but it's a hell of a lot faster and cheaper, and it's not a terribly high-stress area anyway.

The other option is to just say 'screw it' and run it with two bolts. I'm actually running mine like that because I stripped out the threads in the rear boss and didn't feel like spending $40 on a helicoil kit (and pulling the tranny to get the job done). Unfortunately, that's also the same bolt my reverse lights are attached to, so they don't work atm...
Old 03-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Sunpacceo

How about JB weld? Would that be just as good? Its a tight space so I dont think it can be drilled without removing the tranny. How about a little oil around the screw thread then JB weld. Once it hardens, will the screw come back out and then it can be replaced with the proper swrew?
Old 03-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Eh, JB weld isn't quite as stable for drilling and tapping. And no, that method will likely not work to create threads where there aren't any.

I know Permatex makes a thread repair kit (I have one behind me at work), but I don't know how well it works, or even how it works, and I'm not at work to check.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Sunpacceo

Well, looks like I'm going to try a Helicoil and some CCW weld. Thanks for the replies.