Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 GT rubber seal at radiator support

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:11 AM
jcthorne
1st Gear Member

Default 65 GT rubber seal at radiator support

I have a late 65 factory GT that happens to be an export car. (Korea). built in dearborn, june 1965.

Across the top of the radiator support there is a rubber dust seal. It clips to the rear edge of the radiator support and is held in place with what appears to be some fairly heavy duty staples through pairs holes prepunched in the core support. Several folks at car shows have told me they have seen similar rubber 'dust seals' on 6 cyl. cars.

I would like to find a replacement for mine which is 44yrs old and quite hard. Do not see it shown in NPD or CJs catalogs so thought perhaps someone here would know its real name and where I might order one.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:28 AM
JamesW

I too have never seen it on anything but T codes
Old 03-10-2009, 11:31 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

My t code had it. I ripped it off when I put the hood pins on because it got in the way.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

I don't see it's point...

Would dust and dirt not fly up in the bay anyways?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:04 PM
JHPSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Here's a really dirty pic of mine:
http://s448.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=PB160721.jpg
It's cleaner now.. I promise
Old 03-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

OMG!!!! Do NOT put this on your car!!! OR make sure it is attached with more than the crummy clips...

I took my car out a few years back, got about 30 mins from home, it was like 11pm and all of a sudden smoke starts SPEWING from my hood and my shaker assembly, im like OMGWTFBBQ

I pulled over, popped open the hood, the goddamn rubber piece had come unclipped and wrapped around my fan, bent the fant and ripped a massive circular gash in my radiator. I was grateful that I was only going to be out $200 or so and a sunday afternoon to get it back on the road, but it still stucked, all because of a ****ty $10 rubber seal from NPD.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Geez waffles:P They're usually fine if attached properly. If someone's replaced it and attached it with cheapo staples or some other jury-rigged setup, or used a low-quality repro, that's probably what's going to happen.

It's there to help improve airflow across the radiator by preventing it from flowing over the top. I wouldn't say it's really necessary unless you're building a show car. If you really want one, talk to Glazier's. Or, if you want an NOS unit (for a show car), I've got a contact that may be able to get one for you.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:04 AM
jcthorne
1st Gear Member

That is indeed the seal I was speaking of. Will have to give Glaizers a call later. Too bad they don't do online ordering....hard to order mustang parts from a cubicle at work...

I guess this was only applied to export cars? My car is a Mustang, not a T5 but was purchased by a US serviceman stationed in Korea at the time. He drove it there for 3 years and brought it home with him to Kansas in 69.

What is the correct attachment method for this item? They look like stainless steel staples or perhaps chrome but I would think chrome would have rusted away long ago.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The techs at glazier's should be able to answer that question. They do a LOT of resto work. I know David S. knows, but I don't think he's working there atm. He usually only works there during the summer.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:25 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

look on e bay. I bought mine new for $12 bucks. I never used the clips and mine stays on with out any problems.

Last edited by rst08tierney; 03-11-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 65 GT rubber seal at radiator support