Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

what mufflers/glasspacks for bullit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:15 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default what mufflers/glasspacks for bullit?

Hi all,

buddy of mine drives a 68 fastback in that bullit green. exhaust was completely stock front to back. Unhappy with having no noise (you couldn't hear that car) another friend ripped out everything behind the manifold and installed 2.25" piping the whole way through.
Now it's brutally load but the 'tone' is missing. So what are your suggestion of putting in?

He (the owner) was thinking glasspacks. If yes, which ones would you get. If not what and why ...
I think I remember Tad once mentioning what m,ufflers (old school) should be on those cars

sorry for another 'which exhaust' topic ....

Kalli

Last edited by kalli; 03-12-2009 at 04:42 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:49 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I like Flowmaster 40 series. However, the Shelby style exhaust that is avialable in most Mustang parts catalogs is a pair of glasspacks and side exit tailpipes. Keep in mind that not all glasspacks are the same. If he wants the era correct type of sound then glasspacks are the way to go.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:10 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

yah. flowmaster man myself :-) i'm quite sure he wants something era correct. i know he's missing the 390, but the 289 will have to do
Old 03-12-2009, 06:33 AM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

My first Mustang I had 28 years ago had glasspacks. The original/popular ones back then were the red Thrush glasspack mufflers. They are still sold today,I's sure the technology has come a long way.

http://www.thrushexhaust.com/products.html#Glasspack

Personally I am no longer a glasspack fan. The mustang I have now has Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers which I am very pleased with. I actually went from the Dynomax Superturbos to the Flowmasters.
If your freinds car is stock and he wants a nice sounding muffler, the Dynomax may be the one for his car since it is'nt anything radical.
I just think glasspacks sound tin canny. Might as well just go with 1 chamber Flowmasters (LOUD).
Old 03-12-2009, 08:10 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

cherry bombs man, cherry bombs.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 AM
BakoLuke
3rd Gear Member

Ive got flowmaster 40s on both of my mustangs. Personally I thing glasspacks are al noise and no tone. Flowmasters are the way to go.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:23 AM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

want the loudest most ba glasspacks? purple hornies! i got them on my 68 after going through about 5 different exhausts. and man do they have tone and rubble. no drone just straight popping and ripping sound.

found this on you tube, bad quality video but just a taste
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1JfA_ycLmQ
Old 03-12-2009, 11:10 AM
66mustang302

I have cherry bombs with a side exit exhaust on my mustang and its really loud, I would regularly set off car alarms just cruising by them, not even trying to set them off

I would suggest flowmasters, im going to switch to flowmaster 40s after the car is painted, the glasspacks are just too loud, especially if he plans on driving it a good amount
Old 03-12-2009, 11:10 AM
66mustang302

I have cherry bombs with a side exit exhaust on my mustang and its really loud, I would regularly set off car alarms just cruising by them, not even trying to set them off

I would suggest flowmasters, im going to switch to flowmaster 40s after the car is painted, the glasspacks are just too loud, especially if he plans on driving it a good amount
Old 03-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I hate Flowmaster 40's. They're obnoxiously loud, very blatty, and they have a tendency to drone in the cab and deafen the driver and passengers. Also, everyone and their mother has them on their classics.

I'm not a huge fan of glasspacks, as they're even more aggressive than Flowmaster 40's. They basically provide no restriction to the exhaust, which leaves you popping and spitting fire while decelerating. Period correct (and what was on the Bullitt cars), but not my style.

For a good sounding aggressive muffler, I prefer Magnaflow or Dynomax. Magnaflows have a much smoother tone than Flowmaster 40's and flow better to boot.

Personally, I have Flowmaster Hushpower II's on my car. They're expensive, but absolutely amazing. Smooth but aggressive 50's tone at idle, good smooth tone while cruising, and a very unique, very aggressive sound when you hit the Go Pedal. At 6000rpm, it's orgasmic. No raspy or blatty sounds at all. Nobody's car sounds like mine

Last edited by Starfury; 03-12-2009 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: what mufflers/glasspacks for bullit?