Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Headliner Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 AM
mud2sno

Default Headliner Question

I have a 66 coupe that I am going to try to install the headliner in. I have taken front and back glass out and have the correct glue, binder clips and headliner. As I have searched all the threads on the install for tips and help before I start I cant seem to find out when I pull the front and back tight and glue does if fold around the window opening flange and glue on inside and outside of window flange. Then when I reinstall the glass and gasket there will be the headliner under seal that could cause a leak if not completely filled with sealant.

Thanks- Mickey
Old 03-12-2009, 11:10 AM
rbrown22
2nd Gear Member

If you have the windows out the glue goes inside the window frame.. The windows will help hold it also once they get reinstalled.. The same goes for the side windows. The trim covers up that edge..
Old 03-12-2009, 11:12 AM
rbrown22
2nd Gear Member

I was very happy to pay someone $100 to do mine.. He had a steamer and worked about four hours on the head liner... There was a ton of cuts to all the edges to help pull it tight and glue..
Old 03-12-2009, 12:29 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I did mine recently. It was easy. Just take your time. Get a really good quality glue. Use the brush on glue not the spray glue. The spray on makes a huge mess and does not hold as well. If you must use the spray on then get some goo gone to clean up.

Look up the how to on the Mustang Monthly website. that is what i did and it was a great guide.
I also installed my windows. Use a lot of window sealer. I used almost 4 tubes on the windshield and the back glass. A small flat screwdriver and a helper is all you need.

MOST OF ALL TAKE YOUR TIME. IT IS A GOOD ONE DAY JOB.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:00 PM
mud2sno

Monsterbilly, did you wrap it over the front/rear window flange or just had the glue on the inside. I ordered 5 tubes of sealant to make sure I had plenty to spare. Did you seal yours after the windows were installed? or filled the gasket grove prior to install? and use the rope trick to open gasket?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:59 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

I replaced one about a year ago. I wrapped it around the front and rear window flange. That's how it was originally. I didn't use any sealer on the back glass and it didn't leak at all I guess I was lucky on that one. I think I only used on tube on the windshield. I installed the glass first then sealed it by shoving the tip of the sealer between the seal and glass and then went around the outside between the seal and body. I didn't have any problem with leaks doing it that way. I tried using the rope trick but it didn't work well for me. I used my fingers to pry up the seal and pushed the glass in. Its hard on the fingertips but it worked just fine.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:39 PM
az1966
2nd Gear Member

DID mine with front and rear windows in and used 2 putty knifes and a dinner table knife,, layed headliner out in sun for a few hours over a couple days to get folds out and took my time,,contact cement from home despot worked great,,, actual headliner needed to be "squared" up and trimed before installing,, very do able,,just take your time
Old 03-12-2009, 11:05 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

sorry i am writing back so late. i had to drive back to az from san diego.

yes, i wrapped it around. I did not use the rope method.

I squirted the sealer into the groove of the window rubber before i started to install the window. This helps as a lubricant for the rubber to slide over the metal a little. Place the window with the rubber on it onto the flang at the bottom. While you are inside the car have someine else put a small amount of pressure on the window. I used a small flat screwdriver to flip the rubber onto the inside of the flang, working up each side and then from the top corners toward the middle.

After the windows are installed i inserted the tip of the sealer tube into the rubber and filled her up.

Look up the how to on Mustang Monthly. That is exactly how i did it andit worked great.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:51 AM
mud2sno

thanks for all the info on the headliner and windows. I started install on headliner this weekend and so far so good just need to finish on the rear pillars, just taking my time and walking away when i need a break.